Forearm fire and Internal Rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Back in the original Forearm Fire vs. Internal Rotation thread, someone made a hilarious GIF of Phil demonstrating Forearm Fire (that really illustrated the point)....wish I could find it.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Back in the original Forearm Fire vs. Internal Rotation thread, someone made a hilarious GIF of Phil demonstrating Forearm Fire (that really illustrated the point)....wish I could find it.
Maybe almost a year later @DNeeld and the crazy thing is your post was on my oldest's very last fastpitch HS softball game ever, March 11th. Probably the reason I didn't reply back then b/c all of a sudden it was over and I basically went into hiding for awhile.

Anyway, I remember the GIF and would give anything to find it. It was hillarious!!!!! Need to put out a reward for anyone who can get their hands on it.

That said, and it took me years to understand it, FF actually has some good points. Also misses or at least missed some points back in the day like BI but seemed to be in-line with "elbow snap" like @Hillhouse has always taught.

S3

Nov 8, 2018
Ooohhhh...

Some background: "Internal rotation" is a real anatomical term. It is not invented terminology like "forearm fire" or "fluid dynamics".
(And, kudos to Boardmember for using words that actually have meaning. I remember even now when Boardmember returned from Mount Sinai carrying two stone tablets inscribed with the words "internal rotation". But, I digress.)

Internal rotation means, simply, "rotation toward the center of the body". In anatomy, internal rotation is usually used to describe movement of the arms, legs and wrists.

In pitching, "internal rotation" can refer to both (a) the rotation of the forearm during the release phase or (b) the entire pitching motion.

The "internal rotation" pitching motion has many parts, but it is characterized by the hand being behind the ball at 12 and under the ball at 9. This means that the ball is *PULLED*, not pushed. This means that the elbow leads the ball during the motion.

I've not taken time to study Phil Schoneberg videos, but he seems to be teaching internal rotation

Great explanation. Was needed.
Love to make fun of Phil. Ha. I think he means well. And yeah I suppose he teaches a version of IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Those gifs died, along with hundreds of others from BM, FFS and shaker1...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13