Calling Boardmember. What it means to be late.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Boardmember or anyone

I read you " what do I mean " thread. Thanks for that.

I read in part of that thread where you are diagnosing a young lady as late with I/R.

Can you explain what late to I/R means and what it is that creates the proper timing. Does late with I/R mean you are pronating the forearm to late and ending up out in front with the release? What should you be watching for?

Thanks

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here's a shot at it:
It creates a pitch out of sequence. In the case he was addressing, the subject did not pause (decel) the elbow at the side to allow the lower arm to whip (accel) through release. As a result, the I/R was either out in front of the hip, or possibly forced. That's my take...

Feb 7, 2013
This **** is getting complicated! I have no idea how you would teach that. I QUIT!

I think we all have felt this way at some point in DDs development!

Don't despair, it's a marathon not a sprint and the improvement happens slowly over time. Practice arm circle drills focusing on leading with the elbow into release and feeling the whip, the forearm and hand accelerating faster than the upper arm. Show your DD videos of how the elite pitch and she will see what she is trying to accomplish. Next do the drills that BM suggests such as the "show it and throw it" and 45 degree angle arm circle that I and others have described in other threads. Throwing underhand is very similar to throwing overhand, just doing it upside down in fastpitch. Surely she decelerates her upper arm to throw overhand. Same concept here.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
I think we all have felt this way at some point in DDs development!

Don't despair, it's a marathon not a sprint and the improvement happens slowly over time. Practice arm circle drills focusing on leading with the elbow into release and feeling the whip, the forearm and hand accelerating faster than the upper arm. Show your DD videos of how the elite pitch and she will see what she is trying to accomplish. Next do the drills that BM suggests such as the "show it and throw it" and 45 degree angle arm circle that I and others have described in other threads. Throwing underhand is very similar to throwing overhand, just doing it upside down in fastpitch. Surely she decelerates her upper arm to throw overhand. Same concept here.

I hope so. I think I get one thing figured out then I get hit with another. I thought hitting was easy. This is good stuff!

Jul 17, 2012
My understanding of being "Late" is just missing the optimal release point...which is the back thigh. Many kids I see do the same thing that's being called a "Late" release. Everything looks GREAT... right up to the point where they carry the ball right past 6:00 and release it out closer to 7:00 or the front thigh. You can have GREAT posture and release late.... just as you can have horrendous posture and release it right on time. There is definately a cause and effect relationship between posture and release point, but kids can learn to compensate for one fault by creating another. As I understood BoardMembers explanation to me.... (my daughter does the same thing) there is a point where all the energy built up in the motion comes together for the optimal release...which happens just as the upper arm decelerates in the 100% vertical position. They need to rotate the lower arm and release the ball at 6:00 in an explosive manner. When they carry through to 5:00, they LOSE all of the stored energy, as they'll likely be releaseing the ball as the upper arm is now starting to approach 5:00 and is disengaged from the upper body. The chain is broken....or missing a few links...so to speak. I'm certain BoardMember will have a much better description....but he must be on Holiday Leave....so I'll try and chime in...lol

I got some feedback from BoardMember only about a week before my daughter was scheduled for her "Winter Break", so we didn't spend much time at all on it. I'm hoping that after the 6 week layoff, I'll be able to corect it without a heck of a lot of grief. Yet to be seen though. Just remember...there is no such thing as perfect... and giving kids something to work toward to help them improve keeps the fire burning. As soon as someone tells them they are "perfect"...... the fire burns out.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
My understanding of being "Late" is just missing the optimal release point...which is the back thigh. Many kids I see do the same thing that's being called a "Late" release. Everything looks GREAT... right up to the point where they carry the ball right past 6:00 and release it out closer to 7:00 or the front thigh. You can have GREAT posture and release late.... just as you can have horrendous posture and release it right on time. There is definately a cause and effect relationship between posture and release point, but kids can learn to compensate for one fault by creating another. As I understood BoardMembers explanation to me.... (my daughter does the same thing) there is a point where all the energy built up in the motion comes together for the optimal release...which happens just as the upper arm decelerates in the 100% vertical position. They need to rotate the lower arm and release the ball at 6:00 in an explosive manner. When they carry through to 5:00, they LOSE all of the stored energy, as they'll likely be releaseing the ball as the upper arm is now starting to approach 5:00 and is disengaged from the upper body. The chain is broken....or missing a few links...so to speak. I'm certain BoardMember will have a much better description....but he must be on Holiday Leave....so I'll try and chime in...lol

I got some feedback from BoardMember only about a week before my daughter was scheduled for her "Winter Break", so we didn't spend much time at all on it. I'm hoping that after the 6 week layoff, I'll be able to corect it without a heck of a lot of grief. Yet to be seen though. Just remember...there is no such thing as perfect... and giving kids something to work toward to help them improve keeps the fire burning. As soon as someone tells them they are "perfect"...... the fire burns out.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It's impossible to ask a kid to release a 1/4 inch earlier or later. Better to work on form/mechanics, then practice the good form/mechanics to get consistency. If you miss a little high, aim lower. If you have an occasional flyer, figure out what went wrong then teach the kid to be able to self-diagnose. The flyers will eventually disappear.

I cringe when I hear, "A little high, Honey! watch your release point!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug