Dropping the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Any advice to break the habit of dropping the hands? My 9-year DD's first move when a ball is thrown is to lower her hands - whether front toss, batting cage, or live pitcher. We have been doing front hand punch drills, high tee, starting hands low and bringing them up, but so far not able to kick the habit. Tee work is generally very good.

A too long of a video

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/49436788696/in/album-72157712821040972/

Others may add more but looks like a sequence issue not allowing her to get to a good good launch position, you could probably see it more from a side view. I would guess its because of her intent on how she thinks of the swing. Its a rock or sway back over the rear leg, and then fire everything the hands etc. on the forward move. So that being said she has no choice but to drop her hands down to the height of the ball instead of using the body in good sequence to get the barrel to the ball. Of course this is just my opinion others may have other advice. Look at the images and view the videos, I think it will get her going in good direction they have helped my 9yo.

Launch position

Righty-Launch-Watermark.png

Notice how his shoulder angle matches the angle of the bat.

image-asset.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
neck slot drill over and over. That swing rail hitting aid would help too. Stop practicing front toss and get to the tee until she fixes her swing. Having her practice that swing is reinforcing bad habits. The two videos posted by clem are fantastic.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If her tee work is ok then try getting on the other side of the bownet and throw/toss (or mimic a toss) the ball and see what hapens.

Oct 2, 2017
neck slot drill over and over. That swing rail hitting aid would help too. Stop practicing front toss and get to the tee until she fixes her swing. Having her practice that swing is reinforcing bad habits. The two videos posted by clem are fantastic.
Fan of the neck slot either as a drill or to be used as main. It can help feel the connection of the hand to the body. As I have experienced with my own DD you can still run into issues if the rest of the body is not working in sequence. That aside I do feel its a good option for youth players to start feeling the swing being powered with the body instead of the arms and hands.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
it appears she may be trying to load when the hands drop. have you tried to have her concentrate on a scalp load and not think about the hands?

May 12, 2016
Good video talking about posture, but take note at 2:40, compare to your DD's posture. Your DD drops her hands to get to the ball, while she should be doing this.

Neck slot is a great drill, but I agree with Clem, the body has to support it.

Oct 2, 2017
Good video talking about posture, but take note at 2:40, compare to your DD's posture. Your DD drops her hands to get to the ball, while she should be doing this.

Neck slot is a great drill, but I agree with Clem, the body has to support it.

The 6:00 mark is a interesting drill that I really haven't thought of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812