First Time 2 Step

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Dude... Maya can throw! That's awesome! Anywhere near my neck of the woods? I'd love to work with her... she has a VERY high ceiling. Wow. How old is she?

Make the step rearward about getting all of the weight over the right foot as she's stepping. Looks like she's putting her foot down and then transferring weight... versus transferring it as she puts her weight down. This will make the slide across a PART OF the rearward step... not step, then slide.

Get this down so that there is a rhythm in the two steps. Doesn't need to be rushed... but try an eliminate any pauses that might happen as she goes backward. IOW, go back to go forward. She does this well now... but I'd make a little less of a pause. Making the fixes above, should do the trick.

Lastly, as she gets comfortable with it (looks like she's nearly there) take out the rearward step... getting it closer to the back of the rubber.

Seriously, 2020... she looks absolutely awesome!

Last edited:
Dude... Maya can throw! That's awesome! Anywhere near my neck of the woods? I'd love to work with her... she has a VERY high ceiling. Wow. How old is she?

Make the step rearward about getting all of the weight over the right foot as she's stepping. Looks like she's putting her foot down and then transferring weight... versus transferring it as she puts her weight down. This will make the slide across a PART OF the rearward step... not step, then slide.

Get this down so that there is a rhythm in the two steps. Doesn't need to be rushed... but try an eliminate any pauses that might happen as she goes backward. IOW, go back to go forward. She does this well now... but I'd make a little less of a pause. Making the fixes above, should do the trick.

Lastly, as she gets comfortable with it (looks like she's nearly there) take out the rearward step... getting it closer to the back of the rubber.

Lastly

Seriously, 2020... she looks absolutely awesome!

Thanks so much for the very kind words. Some of what you said were things that I thought I was picking up. The one that you said about making the step about transferring the weight not stepping and then transferring was something I would not have picked up myself. This is why I asked the expert, and again thank you. As for Maya she just turned 12 three weeks ago and has got it up to 53 mph on two different guns but cruises at around 48-51 mph. We live in Ohio about 20 minutes south-west of cleveland, near where the Browns training facility is. Lastly I have some video of her trying it tonight without the step back I will shoot you in a private message.

Thanks again.

Jul 10, 2011
She looks awesome 20!.....Your only 4-1/2 hours from Java...well worth the ride!

Well if Java wants to shoot me an address and some contact info I would be glad to consider having him take a look. I like a lot of what he taught on the drive mechanics thread, and I feel like you should always be learning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32