Home to First Time - "Measured from First Step"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
If you go onto YouTube and search up any College Bound Jocks softball skills video (they have produced hundreds), you will see they all include a home to first time that is "measured from first step." They start the clock when the first step foot touches the ground. Is this an accepted way of measuring this time? I don't want to link to any particular kid's video for obvious reasons.

May 27, 2013
If you go onto YouTube and search up any College Bound Jocks softball skills video (they have produced hundreds), you will see they all include a home to first time that is "measured from first step." They start the clock when the first step foot touches the ground. Is this an accepted way of measuring this time? I don't want to link to any particular kid's video for obvious reasons.
What do you mean by first step? First step out of the box on their way to 1B?

The best way I’ve seen it measured is 20 yard laser time at camps.

The other way I’ve seen it (not as reliable) is ball contact with bat to foot touching 1B.

Nov 18, 2015
I'm good with any method other than "pretend to swing and then run".

That one's on my list of "things I would ban immediately" if ever given a +1 Magic Wand of Coaching. :geek:

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes. When the first step foot touches the ground they start the clock.

This is absurd. Getting to that first step is a HUGE part of the equation. A lot of people are fast once they get going. Going from not running to running takes time. The fastest (especially in the outfield) so this better than everyone else.

The only useful way to measure is from contact during a game or scrimmage. Even simulating it with tee/front toss isn't all that useful since smart players will begin moving early since the contact part doesn't matter much.

Apr 14, 2022
The best way I’ve seen it measured is 20 yard laser time at camps.
I think the published times for even this is very suspect.
Fastest 10 M in women’s track is 1.78s (reaction time is deducted)
Adjusted for 10 yards 1.7 s
Adjusted fastest 20 yard is 2.69s
Routinely see times posted from camps faster than these.

Jun 8, 2016
Routinely see times posted from camps faster than these.
Laser timed? My DD ran sub that at a team college camp but it was hand timed which is typically faster. I could be wrong, but I think most college team/prospect type camps do hand timed results.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
Laser timed? My DD ran sub that at a team college camp but it was hand timed which is typically faster. I could be wrong, but I think most team/prospect type camps do hand timed results.
They claim laser timed. My thought is difference between first movement. That the laser it is catching shoulders or torso like a half step. Closer to stealing second than home to first?

This is the reference split times, if you do an average of splits to adjust you get
1.64s and 2.65s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles