Feedback on swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2011
Hi gang. My 15 YO has been struggling with the bat lately. Finally got around to shooting some slow motion video today. Resolution is low but hoping to get some constructive criticism. It's like she has no pop. It looks out of sync or something but I just can't put my finger on it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

K.T. 15YO 1 - YouTube

MVI 0146 - YouTube

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I would recommend launching the barrel from a more perpendicular position. Don't slot and stall the rear elbow. Practice hitting the ball out front.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Her hand path goes down. They are in a weak position at contact. Also her shoulders fly open. Her upper half should try to resist the turning of the lower half.

KTswing_zps9b6692de.gif

Compare to similar pitch heights with Longo and Mauer. Both keep their hands closer to the rear shoulder. Their upper half resistance tilting the shoulders to the pitch location.
evanhr.gif

mauer2.gif

What if you took a level from the side of each of all 3 of their top hand's deltoid to the point where their top hand meets the bottom hand on the bat? (at the point of contact)

If you made a triangle by connecting a line between their elbows...at contact Longo's is facing toward 3rd, Mauer's triangle is facing toward 1st, your dd triangle is facing down behind her left leg.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Practice hitting the ball out front.
I agree with this. It has to do with her directing her hands towards the ball and snapping her wrists late to try to hit the ball too. LOOK AT WHAT PART OF THE BAT HITS THE BALL.

I tell young players their hands have to be 22" away from the ball...that's the distance from the top hand to the sweet spot. If you let that ball get in you like that you can't hit the sweet spot.

It has a lot to do with a lot of other things she is doing. When she brings that elbow back look how there is no "V" to the elbows whatsoever. They almost form a straight line across the forearms. That's way to extreme. compare that to good swings on model swing page.

tell her to use her hips are hands working together to try and TURN the barrel to the ball right from the launch position. See what happens after she does this.

She looks super athletic but swing is a problem. The above mentioned are just a few sugestions and may right some other things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild