Swing Mechanics Help (Please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The pull back (scap load) must occur during the stride (move out). Both must be maintained until the moment of GO. If you try to pull back during the negative move you will most likely slot your hands too early
IMO as long as the hitter continues to pull back as they move it doesn't really matter much when they start. Hitters who have a handset which starts closer to the pitcher typically start to pull back some in their gather as they are getting their hands in a good position to launch from. Trout starts a bit before he moves out.

Aug 20, 2017
I agree! Just can’t preset the upper body load (scap load). I did this with my DD in the beginning and I think it’s caused the issues she has know. Elbow/hands dropping early causing bat to be laid flat.
IMO as long as the hitter continues to pull back as they move it doesn't really matter much when they start. Hitters who have a handset which starts closer to the pitcher typically start to pull back some in their gather as they are getting their hands in a good position to launch from. Trout starts a bit before he moves out.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I agree! Just can’t preset the upper body load (scap load). I did this with my DD in the beginning and I think it’s caused the issues she has know. Elbow/hands dropping early causing bat to be laid flat.

Does a neck slot swing have a preset scap load? Or is there still a separate load? Trying to think of the George Brett gif.

Jun 8, 2016
Does a neck slot swing have a preset scap load? Or is there still a separate load? Trying to think of the George Brett gif.
tV48eOc.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I'm not seeing any scap 'load' until the uncoil.

Prior to toe touch, the back elbow does not go beyond a straight line with the shoulders (see Posey gif in post #9). Then, at heel drop and uncoil, the elbow snaps/stays back as the torso turns.

If you look at catcher-view clips, you will see this.

Aug 20, 2017
Trouts negative move begins the hip coil and his rear elbow pulls back during the move out. It’s very subtle but the two are separated IMO. The hips begin to uncool with the back elbow continues to pull back. Eventually the hips uncoiling are gonna win the battle. This is what actually stretches the torso

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm not seeing any scap 'load' until the uncoil.

Prior to toe touch, the back elbow does not go beyond a straight line with the shoulders (see Posey gif in post #9). Then, at heel drop and uncoil, the elbow snaps/stays back as the torso turns.

If you look at catcher-view clips, you will see this.
Youre notlooking hard enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors