Swing Mechanics Help (Please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is a lot of great info available on this forum, for helping you child become a better hitter. Its helped tremendously with my 9yr old. That being said, I would try and perform any advice someone gives you yourself. As well as watch the pros if that's what they are doing. That way you can relay that information better to your DD.

YES! Feel it for yourself.

Hansen Principle - "Always compare what anyone says about the swing to slow-motion video of what the best actually do."

Oct 2, 2017
Another way to describe it is "turn your back pocket to the pitcher". Turn your hips so your right butt-cheek can be seen by the pitcher during the forward move. The shoulders get turned with the hips. Don't let the right knee get turned outside the rear foot. The feeling should be a twisting tension (coil) around the upper leg and hip.

I use this exact que quite often with my DD! Its a little less embarrassing for her than me yelling take your but cheek to the pitcher LOL

Aug 20, 2017
I use this exact que quite often with my DD! Its a little less embarrassing for her than me yelling take your but cheek to the pitcher LOL
Make sure this move is performed properly. Many hitters will try to turn back pocket toward pitcher using upper body causing the back to turn towards pitcher too much. The lower body and upper body are separated in the hip coil

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
View attachment 14707

Here is her stride to toe touch.

When any hitter opens their hips, they begin to swing forward. IOW, the elbow goes down and the shoulders drop.

You should NOT open your hips during the stride. This is causing all the problems.

Notice at toe touch, her elbow drop (good is up/flat), her rear forearm is vertical (good is flat/level), and her shoulders are upside down (good is level or opposite).

Here is what she should look like at toe touch.
View attachment 14708

How to fix:
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back foot - coil in as you're going forward.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Then add in, pull the back elbow back like a 'bow'. Then add in, make sure the rear foearm is flat. To make sure the hands are not too far away, an easy check is to make sure an extended rear thumb can touch the shoulder or armpit.

If you learn this, you can teach her. She can do this drill for a lifetime to make sure she's doing it right.

I like your post very much. The launch position is universal.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Make sure this move is performed properly. Many hitters will try to turn back pocket toward pitcher using upper body causing the back to turn towards pitcher too much. The lower body and upper body are separated in the hip coil
I just read this and tried to accomplish this, but it seems very difficult to do. Can you explain what ques to use on this? I am trying to lower front shoulder as the rear elbow pulls back, but it seems to move in tandem with the rear pocket to pitcher. Maybe my mind just can't separate them, but curious what you tell the hitter to do to keep the shoulders from turning as much. Thanks in advance.

Jun 8, 2016
I just read this and tried to accomplish this, but it seems very difficult to do. Can you explain what ques to use on this? I am trying to lower front shoulder as the rear elbow pulls back, but it seems to move in tandem with the rear pocket to pitcher. Maybe my mind just can't separate them, but curious what you tell the hitter to do to keep the shoulders from turning as much. Thanks in advance.
Just try and copy what Trout is doing in my post on the first page..

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Just try and copy what Trout is doing in my post on the first page..
Thanks Pattar, i went back to that post, and though i cannot clearly see his back pocket, it looks like his front shoulder is moving down and in more that his rear pocket. If that is the case, then i wont worry as much about trying to hold back on the turn. I would assume as long as you don't get turned too much that your whole back is facing the pitcher, then i wont worry about it. Thanks .

Aug 20, 2017
The hip coil begins during the negative move (front hip compressed against back hip) and should be maintained during the stride. Depending on the style used for the negative (knee lift, sink into back hip) hip coil can occur with both feet on the ground or during the knee lift (if that’s what the hitter uses). The pull back (scap load) must occur during the stride (move out). Both must be maintained until the moment of GO. If you try to pull back during the negative move you will most likely slot your hands too early

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I'm of the opinion that the shoulders and hips should turn back about the same amount during the move out.

Jun 8, 2016
If that is the case, then i wont worry as much about trying to hold back on the turn. I would assume as long as you don't get turned too much that your whole back is facing the pitcher, then i wont worry about it. Thanks .
Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors