Swing Mechanics Help (Please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Youre notlooking hard enough

Here is Trout with his back elbow back as far as he goes during the coil. It's not behind a line with the shoulders yet. There is no scap 'loading' going on there.

Hwere are 2 more. It's not even close to being a scap load.

You can't see his elbow in the last game swing, so it's not even as far back as his shoulder line.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
View attachment 14719

Here is Trout with his back elbow back as far as he goes during the coil. It's not behind a line with the shoulders yet. There is no scap 'loading' going on there.

View attachment 14720
View attachment 14721

You can't see his elbow in the last game swing, so it's not even as far back as his shoulder line.
So you are saying the upper body simply turns back all together from the waist up?

Jun 8, 2016
View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720
View attachment 14721

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720
View attachment 14721

I feel my upper back muscles in those positions, maybe you need to hit the gym more ;)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
So you are saying the upper body simply turns back all together from the waist up?
I don't see most MLB hitters doing that. What I see them do during the inward coil as they stride, is turn their torso as a unit (hips and shoulders) [of course a few start out coiled in], then end up with their back elbow in the right position (which is not behind the shoulder line). Some move the elbow/hands up, some down, some have it there to start with - it makes no difference - just so it's in the right place at toe touch.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Also fun fact, notice it's approx .150-.180 seconds for his stride. We know the swing is approx .150-.180. The pitch is approx .400. So get the foot down halfway (stride to toe touch), then start the swing forward.

BTW, thanks for quizzing me. I don't sell a system or lessons or a book or a DVD. As I learn something new, after seeing it on video, or someone convincing me that I'm wrong, I promote the latest info. I'm not married to any system.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I don't see MLB hitters doing that. What I see them do during the inward coil as they stride, is turn their torso as a unit (hips and shoulders), then end up with their back elbow in the right position (which is not behind the shoulder line). Some move the elbow up, some down, some have it there to start with - it makes no difference - just so it's in the right place at toe touch.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif
In this gif, the inward coil does not begin during the stride. It begins during the knee lift, which is this players negative move. It’s then maintained into foot plant. The Hip coil begins prior to the scap load. The hips uncoil while the scap still resists. This is what engages the torso. Try it yourself. Pull your back elbow back and work your back hip forward. Now you have engaged your torso.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hows this? The hitters hands and front toe are furthest apart at toe touch (stretch). Planting the heel, turning the rear leg,, firing the glute, pulling with abs happen pratically simultaneously. The barrel is whip, thrown around pivot point with adjustability for W=W. Lol. Wheres he been? Also scap load is sorta non teach and can be over done.

If you look closely in Brett gif you can see bat sawing over upper arm ever so slightly.

Jul 29, 2013
Hi everyone. I was hoping for feedback/help regarding one of my girls swings. At the beginning of our season she was killing the ball. hard line drives, hard grounders, and some deep balls. I was trying to upload a video but I don't think this forum allows it (it would make this question much easier). Anyway, I'm trying to give her advice but I don't want to be wrong and mess her up more. The things I've noticed is she no longer has a level swing (uppercutting), she is dropping her back shoulder when she moves her hands back before the swing, and all of her weight stays on her back foot. I realize some hitters keep their weight on their back foot and do fine so I dont think this is effecting her being able to make contact. But, I'm not sure about the non-level swing and dropping her shoulder would be making her contact fall apart so bad. Could I please get some advice from coaches who have seen this, have been through this, and how they got through it? Thanks everyone.

I was able to link a video of her swing on youtube. This is it here:

Some observations. ..
She drops her hands and then pulls and pushes them through with a quick roll over of the wrists. The disconnect from her shoulder plane fights physics and bleeds power. Have her keep her hands connected to her shoulder and rotate the bat around her hands. Good indicator is the front forearm gets parallel to the shoulder plane. Hands always stay above the ball and the barrel swings beneath the hands.
She loses the stretch in her front arm when she bends it creating slack and disconnecting from her core and leg power.
Torque in the core is created anytime the shoulders are at an angle different from the hips. Separate by aligning your left shoulder with your belly button = torque.
A longer stride will generate more power via forward momentum. Must go forward, not fast but go! Apply that power by turning against a firm front leg. That will get her off of her back leg.
Then finish the swing with the end of the bat on the ground at the catchers feet. That creates the feel of good spine angle.
The coil in the back leg is over-rated and is mainly what is felt when making a longer side and doing it slowly. It doesn't generate power. See Babe Ruth and Ken Griffey Jr : no coil, Josh Donaldson, Jose Bautista slow coil and big slow move. Also look at their hip to shoulder angle at foot plant and that they all stride to heel not toe.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016
Need to load into back leg drive those hips fward turn that back foot and drive have a little load with hands. Keep that head down eye on ball. Not bad at all easy to correct keep practicing take everyone's advice. The mirror great advice. Keep taking videos and have her tell you what's she's doing right or wrong

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors