Casting??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
To me it appears she topped the ball on that pitch due to an upward swing possibly caused by 'bat drag'.

However, related to what docnsx01 said, it also appears to me she loads into her back leg, then just pushes her hands forward, while the leg drive and hip rotation weakly follow. She just needs to get the sequencing corrected. If you push the hands and shoulders early, the back elbow gets ahead of the back hip. That is called 'bat drag'. It can cause casting and an upward swing in some. It could be related to the results she is having.

Just be aware I have seen some really odd drills on youtube to fix this. I'd probably get the opinion of her hitting instructor if she has one.

Jul 29, 2013
Casting can be fixed by turning. It's merely her hands getting ahead of her body. She doesn't turn her hips when she swings. Probably because her stance is so wide she can't get into her front leg....the back leg is anchored keeping the pelvis from turning....
and....she's not looking the ball all the way into the zone so she tops the ball. See her head at contact? Where are her eyes looking?

Nov 26, 2020
Was hoping I could get some feedback on my DD swing. All of the contact lately are chopping ground balls that basically hit just past home plate. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. From what I think she is casting her hands and rolling her wrists due to the long swing.

Has she been working on launch angle, swinging up or getting her hands above the ball? I've seen this with kids that are being taught this and as soon as they get to contact they pull up trying to finish high. The result is the pull up so quickly at contact that top the ball.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse