Errors vs hits in scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
Stats matter. If stats do not reflect what you believe to be subjective “talent” you’re evaluating talent wrong.

Oct 4, 2018
including mom n pop coaches.

I'm curious when you start actually looking at any of the stats with any seriousness? I'm still 10u and it's mostly just for the sake of keeping (the runs) score, and maybe getting a sense of who's swinging vs walking and how many pitcher innings we've used.

In our 16 10u travel/fall games I've scored I have yet to assess an error, and everything else is just for the ease of moving the baserunners, so if the batter hits a dribbler and ends up at third it's a triple because that moves all the runners for me much easier than "advanced on throw" all over the place. But I don't think anyone but the coaches has access to the stats.

I'd start scoring it correctly ASAP. There are errors, and should be recorded. Trust me, parents are paying attention to your scoring and know you're doing it wrong. You might not care what they think, but they're thinking it. You might get removed from scoring if one of them talks to the coach. Again, you may not care if that happens.

May 13, 2023
Because stats are a reflection of trying to objectively look at what the play entails,
it is also objectively necessary to look at the talent level on the field.
Two measurements > To help make a situational determination.

Then there is the subjective influence. Which that in itself is hard to remove from taking an objective look.
Even if it is a coach not coaching their own daughter they can still have subjective influence because their team could be considered their baby.
This could be the same for a parent keeping stats reflecting on the whole team because they're daughter is part of the team.

Hard to remove emotion from human beings who are emotional.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A 16U team facing good competition will have more than 1 ROE per game.(1.2) and will commit about 1.2 errors a game. At 10U I would expect it to be much higher.

Jun 18, 2023
I'd start scoring it correctly ASAP. There are errors, and should be recorded. Trust me, parents are paying attention to your scoring and know you're doing it wrong. You might not care what they think, but they're thinking it. You might get removed from scoring if one of them talks to the coach. Again, you may not care if that happens.

Parents can't see the stats. The coaches are on the same page, we weren't using it for player evaluation, but for roster management and game-score/time stuff. We don't even update to move the fielders around after the first inning, besides pitcher. The work involved with doing that, or doing "single." R3 safe. R2 to third "on throw", batter to second "on last play" or whatever is too much to do AND also do all the coach stuff, give high fives, whatever. For what value? Slightly more accurate stats that aren't good for anything anyway? Pass. We can revisit at 12u.

Jul 11, 2023
Hidden stats has become a huge red flag for me. While my sample size has been small, it has consistently said something about how a team is run. And it is always about inequitable treatment of players.

Feb 25, 2022
Parents can't see the stats. The coaches are on the same page, we weren't using it for player evaluation, but for roster management and game-score/time stuff. We don't even update to move the fielders around after the first inning, besides pitcher. The work involved with doing that, or doing "single." R3 safe. R2 to third "on throw", batter to second "on last play" or whatever is too much to do AND also do all the coach stuff, give high fives, whatever. For what value? Slightly more accurate stats that aren't good for anything anyway? Pass. We can revisit at 12u.
As far as I know, there aren't any settings on GC that would allow only staff members to see stats, unless no parents are invited/listed with the team. If that's the case, why use GC if you're not taking full advantage of scheduling/notifications/messaging? A plain old scorebook would honestly be much easier. Not starting any drama, but honestly asking.

For the stats themselves, our team is 12U, but I really believe accurate stats beginning in 10U has helped us improve as a team. This is especially true when you have parents complaining on Sunday that Suzy isn't playing SS and is batting 10th. As long as the info fed into GC is accurate, it provides us with solid reasoning why Suzy is where she is on Sunday. The errors, QAB%, OBP% and spray charts can paint a real picture of the team as a whole. The stats help set the lineup and defense each game. Of course knowing the opponent, understanding girls can have bad days/slumps, whether our #1 is pitching and know not a single ball will be hit to 3rd/LF, etc. all work into the mix. It provides us feedback on what we need to work on in practice as well. I think that not accurately scoring and looking at stats is leaving a valuable tool out of a coaches toolbox.

Jun 16, 2022
My HS bias might be showing here, but I'm not sure you should ever look at stats with any seriousness in travel unless maybe you're one one of the very top teams where everyone's going D1 and everyone they play against is going D1. Those might matter.

HS stats matter, though they're not usually useful indicators of talent. But they matter from a record-keeping standpoint. There is school (and perhaps league/conference, state, etc.) history involved. For that reason, I take the scorekeeping seriously. I also do not judge a player's actual ability based on such a small sample size with such a wide range of opponent talent levels.
Your bias is definitely showing. No reason to think HS GC is any better than travel GC at the same age range. Our HS GC is run by an "Assistant Coach" that's really just a glorified average softball mom in the dugout and the scorekeeping is laughably bad and incredibly biased. I'm certain we're not unique in this respect.

May 27, 2013
As far as I know, there aren't any settings on GC that would allow only staff members to see stats, unless no parents are invited/listed with the team. If that's the case, why use GC if you're not taking full advantage of scheduling/notifications/messaging? A plain old scorebook would honestly be much easier. Not starting any drama, but honestly asking.

For the stats themselves, our team is 12U, but I really believe accurate stats beginning in 10U has helped us improve as a team. This is especially true when you have parents complaining on Sunday that Suzy isn't playing SS and is batting 10th. As long as the info fed into GC is accurate, it provides us with solid reasoning why Suzy is where she is on Sunday. The errors, QAB%, OBP% and spray charts can paint a real picture of the team as a whole. The stats help set the lineup and defense each game. Of course knowing the opponent, understanding girls can have bad days/slumps, whether our #1 is pitching and know not a single ball will be hit to 3rd/LF, etc. all work into the mix. It provides us feedback on what we need to work on in practice as well. I think that not accurately scoring and looking at stats is leaving a valuable tool out of a coaches toolbox.

Yes, you are able to not allow others to see stats, even if they follow the team.

Apr 14, 2022
Definitions as they are being used in the discussion:
Talent- excuse to justify player who is not performing.
Stats- data that is only useful if it aligns with my predetermined conclusion.

I do not think we want decide how large a steel beam needs to be to hold up a bridge on emotion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12