Either my Pocket Radar is inaccurate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I, too, use a pocket radar - rarely. When I am catching I have a pretty good read on their mph.
- 35 mph, I am sitting there, with a face mask on chatting with the parent.
- 40 mph, I have put on shin guards and still talking.
- 45 mph, I have shut up
- 50 mph, I have on full gear
- 55 mph, Bring your own catcher.
- 60 mph is a unicorn. I never see it.

I remember one summer I was watching my dds feet. Or her pre motion. Or her hips. No problem. Watch the feet, pick up the ball in flight...Next summer I had learned I had to focus on the ball only. Seems unfair as they get faster we get slower.

Jan 28, 2017
DD and DD best friend threw 46 at a college camp in December. Friend normally throws harder last week DD best friend clocked at 46 by a new gun. She throws a lot harder now. I have no clue how hard she throw. Use the radar gun to improve and don't worry about the speed.

Feb 7, 2013
Rev Fire will show a slower speed. It calculates an average speed using the release and stop of the ball. Use it for spin not speed unless you are only interested in checking for velocity increase and not a specific number.

Agree. I only use the RevFire to measure spin rates and use the Pocket Radar if I want to know velocity.

IME the PR is very accurate and gives consistent readings.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Rev Fire will show a slower speed. It calculates an average speed using the release and stop of the ball. Use it for spin not speed unless you are only interested in checking for velocity increase and not a specific number.

I have found a RevFire to be 2-3 MPH slower than a radar gun since it measures average velocity vs. maximum velocity. It is still a great tool for measuring progress, just not so great for bragging to your friends...

Aug 30, 2015
Temperature also makes a difference.

Two weekends, two tourneys. Same pitchers.

90 degree tourney-56-59 mph cruising.

70 degree tourney-53-56 mph cruising.

16u's.

Feb 11, 2015
From what I have seen it is basically what most all the college coaches / scouts are using these days. It is just way to easy to have in your pocket with you at all times. I know I have clocked so many girls at tourneys that now I can guess within a mile or 2 without even using it. My DD plays 10U and is a catcher so have seen lots of pitches over time. The fastest I have ever seen from 35 feet was 52, and let me tell you that ball was coming - our 07 pitcher throws right at 48, but something just over 50 from 35 is crazy fast. I love this equivalency chart - Equivalent Fastpitch Pitch Speeds Conversion Chart

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
From what I have seen it is basically what most all the college coaches / scouts are using these days. It is just way to easy to have in your pocket with you at all times. I know I have clocked so many girls at tourneys that now I can guess within a mile or 2 without even using it. My DD plays 10U and is a catcher so have seen lots of pitches over time. The fastest I have ever seen from 35 feet was 52, and let me tell you that ball was coming - our 07 pitcher throws right at 48, but something just over 50 from 35 is crazy fast. I love this equivalency chart - Equivalent Fastpitch Pitch Speeds Conversion Chart

The key is consistency. If a college coach uses the same radar in the same manner to record pitchers, the results can be useful regardless of which model they use.

Mar 31, 2014
The only radar gun that I will believe is the one the ESPN uses at the WCWS.
I don't even believe those numbers. One of my friends is a retired MLB pitcher and he told me they even fudge those numbers up for the same reasons many moms and dads have 12 year olds throwing "mid 60's"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad