Fastest pitch you've seen in '21

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
In the Baylor/Stephen F Austin game last night, Baylor's starting pitcher was shown in the 67-68 range, the second pitcher was in the 70-73 range, and the third pitcher, Holman-Mansell , was consistently showing speeds of 76-78 on the screen.

Was anyone making contact vs the pitcher throwing 76-78? That would have to be the equivalent of 100 mph+ in baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Was anyone making contact vs the pitcher throwing 76-78? That would have to be the equivalent of 100 mph+ in baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was Mansell, she gave up 0 runs and 2 hits, had 2 walks and struckout 1 in 3 innings.

Nov 18, 2015
Makes me wonder if her FB isn't her 'out' pitch? 3 innings and only 1K? That sounds like a lot of contact being made to generate outs. Could have been weak contact, sure, but I would expect more swings and misses from a pitcher hitting 75+.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
While it's been pointed out already that ESPN's gun is typically on the + side, along with their announcers telling you how great everyone you see on TV is. But, last year, on one of these threads in this forum I predicted that you will see a steady increase in speeds by the majority of pitchers because of the rule change allowing only 1 foot to be on the rubber. For sure there are some that haven't taken full advantage of this rule change (yes, even D1 pitchers who didn't want to overhaul their pitching motion with only a season or 2 left to play in their careers). But, 70 will be the new 60. More and more pitchers will climb into the mid-upper 60's and 70 mph pitchers will no longer be unicorns that you see once in a while. They will be common place. Let this rule change take effect, it will happen and we're already seeing it occurring.
My dd is a retired pitcher. I told about that rule change and her only comment was, WOW

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
As a pitcher dad this is a pet peeve. I see kids who are way slower than DD listing 60+mph on their profiles. I'm thinking coaches can see through that with one or two pitches. I saw 70 during an SEC game and it certainly didn't look like 70 to me, but TV can be deceiving, just like profile sheets.

May 27, 2013
As a pitcher dad this is a pet peeve. I see kids who are way slower than DD listing 60+mph on their profiles. I'm thinking coaches can see through that with one or two pitches. I saw 70 during an SEC game and it certainly didn't look like 70 to me, but TV can be deceiving, just like profile sheets.

It‘s because they hit 60+ one time on the gun and it gets listed as their top speed. They don’t cruise at that speed. I’ve seen combines where the FB will be 60+ but every other pitch they throw is listed as mid-50’s. Most likely that pitcher is throwing mid-50s during a game.

May 27, 2013
So here’s an example - my son had a baseball combine through PBR this past weekend. The top fastpitch velo for his teammate was 83, but that kid barely hits 80, ever. He just happened to juice one pitch at the right time and that gets listed as his top velo.

Jun 19, 2016
In general pitchers parents tend to over exaggerate their DD's speed. Even a pocket Radar is not absolute proof because it will give interference readings. I never claim that one reading is my DD's personal best.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00