Catchers Mitt for Small 12U Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
DD is also first year 12u, wasn't quite as petite as yours, but a Louisville Slugger Xeno in 33" mitt works great for her. She was probably 4'10", 90-100 at the time she first got it. Lightweight and easy to break in. Now because of that you can tell it isn't a glove that will last forever. I notice when she's catching for faster pitchers (low 50s), her glove seems to whip around a bit, but I don't know enough to say if it's because it's a lightweight glove or if it's her receiving technique. I got her a liberty advanced 33", but she's been resistant to use it, finding it to be more relatively stiff.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was looking at this one as well, but was discouraged by the 32.5” size since that’s what she already has. Do you think it’s enough of an upgrade over her current glove (linked in OP)?
As far as quality, definitely. However, I prefer a 33.5 or a 34 inch mitt for my catchers with the 12" ball. A 32.5 works fine if broken in properly but I like my catchers to have that bigger pocket. Another option if you wanted to go 34" is the All-Stars AF Elite. it comes out of the factory on the smallish finger stall side so might be another good option although more expensive and it's still relatively light compared to some others.

Feb 16, 2022
As far as quality, definitely. However, I prefer a 33.5 or a 34 inch mitt for my catchers with the 12" ball. A 32.5 works fine if broken in properly but I like my catchers to have that bigger pocket. Another option if you wanted to go 34" is the All-Stars AF Elite. it comes out of the factory on the smallish finger stall side so might be another good option although more expensive and it's still relatively light compared to some others.
Thanks for this. I actually ordered that one earlier this week - I think it'll arrive today. It was one of the few that Dick's had in stock that I have seen mentioned here. You're right, though, it is more expensive! 😭 We'll see how that looks on her, although I'm still worried about break-in on that one. Otherwise might go with the Mizuno Franchise at this point to hopefully get her through until she grows some more and can handle one of the better gloves!

May 28, 2019
i would look into bradleybaseball gloves. They got into the fastpitch market. They cater to youth gloves/mitts with smaller hand stalls. I think a bradley mitt would be a great fit. My son has used his bradley glove for 3 years now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478