Either my Pocket Radar is inaccurate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
just curious to what type gun was used at the clinic? Ball coach is my assumption?

Correct Ball Coach, which is what I used myself when I gun her. As she gets older, I only gun her when I notice she has appeared to pick up sustained speed.

Jun 12, 2015
Anytime anyone has ever told me their daughter pitched a speed I felt was not accurate, they use either a Bushnell or one of those balls that measures the speed while you throw it. I really think the reason my daughter seems slow compared to other pitchers at her level is only because of the different radar guns we use. Or they all seem to slow way down when I clock them, somehow.

Feb 21, 2017
This is similar to another post. I spent many years coaching 10-12U baseball and low 50s is easy to spot based on the sound. I was surprised it is same for softball but I guess the noise caused by the turbulence from the seams is consistent between the two. Every increase of 4-7 MPH will be noticeable. Because of this I don’t need a radar gun to tell how hard someone is throwing within a couple MPH. I can generally ballpark it from experience.

First time using a Pocket Radar I was trying to hold two radar guns and catch a ball. Needless to say readings were all over the map. We have a Stalker and Juggs for our travel BB program and when I ran a proper test they were never more than a MPH off at any point, but always several MPH slower than the “dad” radar.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I always wondered if 'Grandpa Radar' is confused why his video has close to 28,000 unique views.

Apr 16, 2013
According to him it has more like 45,000 views.

At this point is that even the real, original, video? I'd think after the video had made its rounds across every softball board on the internet, then mercilessly laughed at, he would have removed it. Of course I'm sure it's been saved a few thousand times so someone had to put it back up.

Apr 7, 2012
The other day at tryouts, I found out that my pocket radar must have been broken too.. I was clocking the girls and some had no idea what they threw, so no surprises there, but I got to one and I asked her if she had been clocked before.. and she was like "yeah I have gotten 51 before with my pitching instructor".. I was like ok.. so I took out my gun and clocked her.. I don't think she got over 47.. and I showed her and I think she was a little disappointed.. I will have to tell her my gun is broken..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00