Pocket Radar - My Ultimate tool for checking accurancy - Or how to use video to clock speed !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Cosine effect people. Or better yet, “Cosine Angle Error”.

Until you understand this thoroughly you are wasting your time debating all this.

Furthermore: Using radar to determine the speed of a moving object is most affected by the skill and understanding of the operator. This understanding is constantly muddied because for whatever reason people believe what they hear behind the backstop, not what the manual and manufacturers say.

The owner of pocket radar has made some excellent informative posts on this site, some the past few days. Worth reading.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I don't know about anyone else but when I catch for my pitchers, which I do quite often, I typically see their fastest speeds on low pitches. I have always thought that it had something to do with gravity and a lower trajectory. I see now that the speed increase is more likely due to the fact that a low pitch has a lower trajectory out of the pitcher's hand which is more in line with the location of the Pocket Radar, which I am holding in my throwing hand as I wait for the ball.

Unless someone can show me that this angle variation is greater than 5 degrees, this is not going to be even a tenth of a mph. So this is not causing a significant speed difference.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Unless someone can show me that this angle variation is greater than 5 degrees, this is not going to be even a tenth of a mph. So this is not causing a significant speed difference.
You are probably right, according to the Pocket Radar chart 1mph at 50mph speed would need about a 10 degree difference. A 2ft elevation difference at 38ft seems less than that.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2015
Brooklin, ON
You are probably right, according to the Pocket Radar chart a 1mph at 50mph speed would need about a 10 degree difference. A 2ft elevation difference at 38ft seems less than that.
I'd be more than willing to test that theory if the folks at pocket radar would kindly send me about 20 of their new devices that I would place vertically, one on top of the other, to see the real difference for each pitch :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802