Fastest pitch you've seen in '21

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
What is the fastest speed you've seen reported so far this year (in mph)? Where did you see it recorded, ie; ESPN, Flosports, Grandpa radar??? Monica Abbot is still credited with the fastest speed recorded for a female fastpitch player (77mph back in 2012, not sure what that speed was measured with, Jugs, etc.). Today's current collegiate pitchers seem to be cruising at 72-74mph, I watched Montana Fouts hit 76 several times this past weekend according to ESPN.

Is this velocity being exaggerated even more than it has in the past or do you feel it's accurate? I'm sure that better training, better coaching and mechanics are having an impact but...

May 21, 2018
I've seen a few games where the pitcher hasn't broken 60. Liberty(been watching on ESPN+) has a pitcher who throws in the mid to upper 50's and drops into the 40's occasionally.

If anyone could hit 76 I would think Fouts would be the person, but I'm still not sure I buy into some of these readings.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I've seen a few games where the pitcher hasn't broken 60. Liberty(been watching on ESPN+) has a pitcher who throws in the mid to upper 50's and drops into the 40's occasionally.

If anyone could hit 76 I would think Fouts would be the person, but I'm still not sure I buy into some of these readings.

Interesting you brought up Liberty because when I was watching their series a few weeks ago with Villanova and UND, the majority of pitchers seemed to be clocking in the 57-61 mph range. This was again seen last week at Liberty with different teams. Maybe it’s the radar there that’s reading slow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA

Agreed...is it motivational or disheartening for another college pitcher trying to break out of the mid 50's and see others throw a change up faster than their own fastball? Speed isn't everything but damn!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
ESPN's radars are juiced. Always have been.

In HS I regularly umpire 2 Power5 commits who are clearly in the high 60's - I don't believe either claim 70mph, but I have seen readings that both are at 68 in games. As an umpire, it is REALLY noticeable that these two are throwing harder than the low-60's crowd. Especially when it is coming right at you. Quite a few HS girls who can get it into the low-mid 60's but mostly it is in the high 50's (despite what their dads say)

Most of the college games I do are in the 56-65mph range - more in the high 50's. don't currently do any D1 so it is mostly D2, JUCO and NAIA when I do those games. JUCO in Florida has some girls who can really bring it.

DD pitches in the 58-62 range so I have a pretty good read on most pitchers speed from catching her for years.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Watch the batters..they will tell you how fast a kid is really throwing.
Watch the Alabama/Auburn series from this past weekend (aside from some unbelievably bad fielding, throwing and baserunning errors in game 3, I believe) the Auburn hitters were not simply just getting blown away by Fout's speed...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Agreed...is it motivational or disheartening for another college pitcher trying to break out of the mid 50's and see others throw a change up faster than their own fastball? Speed isn't everything but damn!

An out is an out. Some of those high 50's D1 pitchers REALLY move it. Pitches in the 70's pretty much don't move a lot.

Jun 8, 2016
Watch the Alabama/Auburn series from this past weekend (aside from some unbelievably bad fielding, throwing and baserunning errors in game 3, I believe) the Auburn hitters were not simply just getting blown away by Fout's speed...
Ok...I wasn't talking about Fouts, it was a general comment.

I watched Abbot throw last year against good college teams and most of them looked like 12U kids trying to play college ball

Oct 1, 2014
USA
ESPN's radars are juiced. Always have been.

In HS I regularly umpire 2 Power5 commits who are clearly in the high 60's - I don't believe either claim 70mph, but I have seen readings that both are at 68 in games. As an umpire, it is REALLY noticeable that these two are throwing harder than the low-60's crowd. Especially when it is coming right at you. Quite a few HS girls who can get it into the low-mid 60's but mostly it is in the high 50's (despite what their dads say)

Most of the college games I do are in the 56-65mph range - more in the high 50's. don't currently do any D1 so it is mostly D2, JUCO and NAIA when I do those games. JUCO in Florida has some girls who can really bring it.

DD pitches in the 58-62 range so I have a pretty good read on most pitchers speed from catching her for years.
That's what I'm saying! I know they've been bumping up the reported speeds for a while...it seems worse than ever!! Knock it off ESPN. The announcers hardly comment on it and if these pitchers are really hitting world record speeds Michelle Smith and others would likely be blabbering about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom