Fastest pitch you've seen in '21

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
In general pitchers parents tend to over exaggerate their DD's speed. Even a pocket Radar is not absolute proof because it will give interference readings. I never claim that one reading is my DD's personal best.
I always say "the fastest she has been clocked at" when someone asks. This of course is leaving out a ton of information like: it was indoors, in perfect conditions, at lessons, no pressure, no batter, etc.

I should probably just say, "I don't really know" to be more accurate, but how will she ever start for the Hitten Kittens without a little self promotion. :unsure:

Jun 8, 2016
I should probably just say, "I don't really know" to be more accurate, but how will she ever start for the Hitten Kittens without a little self promotion. :unsure:
Growing up the only people with radar guns were Pro Scouts..somehow people managed to survive ;)

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Watching Fouts itch against Tennessee right now. Scarborough says " I think she's throwing just a tinch harder right now"....fastest I've seen clocked so far is 71mph. That's 7mph slower than last week....regarding the radar and it's accuracy, who knows!

*edited to add...just saw a 73mph pitch. btw, I think Fouts is an amazing pitcher, it's the radar speeds that I'm laughing at.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Watching UH v Baylor and the radar has Sidney Holman-Mansell for Baylor cruising 74-76 with the top I've seen so far at 78mph.

The color commentator is taking about her fastball being 71mph. Obviously she doesn't believe the radar either. She does have impressive speed .

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
An out is an out. Some of those high 50's D1 pitchers REALLY move it. Pitches in the 70's pretty much don't move a lot.
I disagree with the idea that higher speed means less movement. Watch a men’s international game sometime with guys throwing upper 70’s to mid 80’s with crazy drop movement. The higher the speed, the more dramatic the effect of “late break.”

Coach Caz

Fastpitch Junkie
Jan 16, 2014
I always say "the fastest she has been clocked at" when someone asks. This of course is leaving out a ton of information like: it was indoors, in perfect conditions, at lessons, no pressure, no batter, etc.

I disagree with the idea that higher speed means less movement. Watch a men’s international game sometime with guys throwing upper 70’s to mid 80’s with crazy drop movement. The higher the speed, the more dramatic the effect of “late break.”

The reason why men can move the ball just as well at higher speeds stems from the fact that: 1. They pitch from 46 feet, so those 3 feet make a huge difference and 2. They do get higher revolutions (RPS) on their spin pitches due to their bigger hands and stronger fingers.

As for speed, I am very leery of the speeds seen at many parks and on television. I had a daughter that pitch at the D1 level for a mid level team. She lived between 58 to 60 MPS but her RPS were consistently in the high 20's.

Never the less, during her freshman year she was pitching at USF and the radar at the stadium clocked her consistently between 62 and 64. The USF pitcher was hitting 66 & 67 but being around softball for as many years, she did not look anything faster then what I witness in travel ball.

Subsequently, I had a conversation with a D1 Head Coach that I know and she confirmed for me that many of the stadium inflate the speeds as a way to bolster a pitchers confidence, much in the same light as having a catcher that can make a ball "POP" when it hits their glove. I do pitching instructions and see the difference when I make sure a ball pitch "POP" when it hits my glove. So much of this is all about building a pitcher confidence. At the College level, the mental part of the game is extremely important.

Jan 22, 2018
Watching UH v Baylor and the radar has Sidney Holman-Mansell for Baylor cruising 74-76 with the top I've seen so far at 78mph.

The color commentator is taking about her fastball being 71mph. Obviously she doesn't believe the radar either. She does have impressive speed .

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Sidney throws so hard in person. When you are in the stands there is no doubt she is in the 70s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00