Catchers Mitt for Small 12U Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I've been "lurking" on several occasions over the last few months. Searching and reading this forum helped me significantly in narrowing down catchers gear for my daughter for Christmas. Now, her coach tells me she needs a new mitt. (Of course! LOL)

DD is a first-year 12U player, and she is petite (maybe 4'9", 75 lbs.) so has smaller hands, too!

She has been using this Rawlings glove (32.5"), which worked great last year in 10U with the 11" ball. Now that she's receiving faster pitches with the 12" ball in 12U, her coach tells me that this glove is a bit too flimsy—he's worried about her getting injured. Also, he said it is more of a baseball-style glove, and I've noticed that with the 12" ball, if she doesn't catch it *just* right, the ball falls right out.

The question is what to get her now. I've done a lot of searching here, but have not found the right combination of advice (yet). I worry that another 32.5" glove (different style) will not be enough of a change to make a difference, plus her coach said she'll probably outgrow it within a year. But on the flip side, I worry that she won't be able to squeeze a 33" or 34" closed since her hands are small.

I tried looking for used gloves—and her coach checked with older players in the organization—and we came up empty.

Am I looking for a unicorn? Nice pocket but manageable for small hands, not impossible to break in (because again, small hands!), and not a budget-breaker? She still has quite a bit of growing to do, so I don't anticipate this is her "forever glove," but it would certainly be nice to get something that will last her more than a season or two.

Feb 16, 2022
I did see that one mentioned a few times in my search of the forums and saw it is designed to go up to ~age 13. I liked the price tag too, ha! It seemed the specific “model” everyone mentioned has since been discontinued but I did see Mizuno has continued the Franchise line. Unfortunately couldn’t find Franchise gloves available anywhere locally for her to try on so if we go that route, we’ll have to order from Mizuno directly and hope for the best. Eek!

Our local Dick’s does carry a Mizuno at a similar price point but it’s different - and I couldn’t figure out why. Is it mainly the size?6073C7B9-8077-4664-A39E-0B5CAF2BF607.png

Several girls, including my daughter used a mizuno franchise mitt at that age. They break in quickly and have a good pocket to receive the ball easily.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
Justballgloves (like many stores) seem to have no inventory of anything right now. I've been watching for gloves available since fall ball last year and it's not getting better yet. The supply chain on gloves must be really jacked up.
That said, here's that glove at Academy: https://www.academy.com/p/mizuno-womens-franchise-series-fast-pitch-catchers-mitt
Thank you! We don’t have Academy here - do you recommend ordering from them over direct from Mizuno? Academy’s returns process/policy in terms of shipping charges was not clear to me from their site. It’s too bad JustGloves is having such extensive inventory issues!

Feb 16, 2022
Look at the Vinci Fortus series at Vincipro.com. https://vincipro.com/product/fortus-black-32-5-inch-fast-pitch-catchers-mitt/ They have the smaller finger stalls for smaller hands, easy to break in but much more durable than many of the Mizuno offerings that you only get a year or two out of. I only wish they made it in a 33.5 as well.
I was looking at this one as well, but was discouraged by the 32.5” size since that’s what she already has. Do you think it’s enough of an upgrade over her current glove (linked in OP)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812