Dipping back knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
We have been working on some of the suggestions. Please let me know what you think.

She's improving. Keep it up.

A couple of things. NEVER let the head get over/above the front foot. It should stay between the feet. She hits the ball then drifts forward. Even though this occurs after she hits the ball, it's an indication that she is not bracing the front side enough and is pushing sideways to much.

The front leg must stop all forward momentum so that rotation occurs. The back foot should not drag forward like her's does. She should end up on the back foot after the hit. Like the guys below:

crede_follow.jpg

helton follow thru.jpg

green follow.jpg

Also, during the hand load, the rear elbow should get behind her back more, and the hands should be farther back and closer to the armpit.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Be careful with the shoulders twisting with the load (closing), the hands should go straight back shoulders inline to the plate. You don't want to develop a front shoulder pulling out early. JMO

May 13, 2008
We have been working on some of the suggestions. Please let me know what you think.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think her lower body sequence was better on the 3rd of March clip. She wasn't squishing the bug before, but she is now.

21dkaab.png

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Foot plant

youth16.jpg
BustosTeamUSA.jpg

BenjiUCLA.jpg
LelesArizona.jpg

The 3 pictures and comparison from MTS is right on. look carefully at the shoulders and head. Now back knee and back foot and finally weight distribution. Here is what I would suggest and you should try this before she does. Set up exactly like one of MTS' examples. Personally I would pick Bensi in the blue pants lower left. START THERE. When you swing make sure of two things.

1. Hips do turn

2. As you swing the front elbow starts working up as the back elbow works down and you'll sense that barrel dropping in where it belongs in the path of the ball. Give if a try.

I bet you are going to see something a lot closer to what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

She is out of sequence. I see her turn her torso back while in her stance. Then I see her pick up her front foot and coil her hips as she sways backwards onto her back foot.

I would like to see her simplify her approach while learning. Start in her stance with her feet close together. Ask her to pick up her front foot and immediately, but slowly stride forward. As she is striding, ask her to coil. As she comes forward, ask her to try and keep her head over her belly button. Have her do a bunch of these while landing on a closed front foot. IOW, don't open the hips. Stay closed all the way to toe touch.

Once she gets comfortable with that action, have her take tee swings. Tell her that when she swings, her front foot will want to open automatically and to let it happen.

She needs to coil her hips as she comes forward during her stride. You don't want her coiling in her stance or coiling as she sways backwards.

Starting with the feet close together means she will have a longer stride which will emphasize the concept of forward-by-coiling. Which is nothing more than coiling the hips during the stride as stated by Williams back in 1970.

This may or not fix the issue she currently has of not blocking well with her front leg. If it doesn't fix it then we can address that later. Right now I would start with the sequence. If you don't get the sequence right, you will be playing whack-a-mole trying to fix one issue after another.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Be careful with the shoulders twisting with the load (closing), the hands should go straight back shoulders inline to the plate. You don't want to develop a front shoulder pulling out early. JMO fourts when you get a chance can you or anyone else explain further.So I'm clear when loading hips should rotate,but shoulders should stay in line with plate?Pic example would be nice.DD frt shoulder was pulling out yesterday alot when missing ball.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Be careful with the shoulders twisting with the load (closing), the hands should go straight back shoulders inline to the plate. You don't want to develop a front shoulder pulling out early. JMO fourts when you get a chance can you or anyone else explain further.So I'm clear when loading hips should rotate,but shoulders should stay in line with plate?Pic example would be nice.DD frt shoulder was pulling out yesterday alot when missing ball.

2j0dxyc.gif

Bonds is doing what Slaught is doing. The difference being that Bonds has his bottom hand holding onto the bat which restricts how far back the top hand can go back. The effect is that the front shoulder turns down-and-in.

e6tyzs.gif

Jun 18, 2010
Thank you all for the input.

Update & Background:

Here is some background on her swing, we have been working using the Coil-Stretch-Swing steps. She previously had an all arms extended swing. We are following the following threads: Megan 1-Tee (Started by Immortal1), Thoughts on Daughter's Swing (Started by dukie), and crankermo's series.

Here is some background to the Mar 17 video. Just before we took the video, we had been working on walkthroughs as seen here:

walkthrough.gif

We had also been working on the kick drill MTS posted in the "Front Side Resistance" thread post 19.

OOKickGif1.gif

The reason we were working on these specific drills is if you look at our Mar 3rd entry, DD is having problems understanding the feel of the weight transfer on the stride. She tends to stride without any real weight transfer and with her weight still back, whereby she then spins on her back foot. IMO, her sequence issues are related to the above. After reviewing the "Weight Transfer" thread, we kind of had a mini breakthrough last night. By telling DD, at stride, to try and balance her weight instead of keeping her weight back, we were able to achieve a better looking landing position at stride.

Another mini breakthrough last night was lowering her hands, and trying to get her hands closer to the height of her arm pits at stride. This minor adjustment immediately corrected a slight "U" shaped bat path, and resulted in line drives, versus balls driven into the ground.

Another adjustment made was to have her bend slightly more at her waist, instead of having her upper body so straight. DD said by putting a slight bend in her waist she could feel more when her sequence was off.

She worked hard this weekend, we are going to post another video with progress on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
...we kind of had a mini breakthrough last night. By telling DD, at stride, to try and balance her weight instead of keeping her weight back, we were able to achieve a better looking landing position at stride.

Another mini breakthrough last night was lowering her hands, and trying to get her hands closer to the height of her arm pits at stride. This minor adjustment immediately corrected a slight "U" shaped bat path, and resulted in line drives, versus balls driven into the ground.

Another adjustment made was to have her bend slightly more at her waist, instead of having her upper body so straight. DD said by putting a slight bend in her waist she could feel more when her sequence was off.

She worked hard this weekend, we are going to post another video with progress on Tuesday or Wednesday.

All good changes, I can't wait to see the results.

Regarding the bolded part above, I feel that it is important for females to bend more at the waist than men in their stance because their center of balance is lower. While in the stance, the nose should be closer to the plate than the knees, and the knees should be closer to the plate than the toes (nose, knees, toes).

Here is something you can try to demonstrate the center of balance difference:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207