Dipping back knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Foot plant

youth16.jpg
BustosTeamUSA.jpg

BenjiUCLA.jpg
LelesArizona.jpg

Sep 17, 2009
First she is spinning on her back foot, squishing the bug. Her base is wide and then she is striding about 8 inches. It looks like she is spinning so hard on her back foot that her hips are over rotating early, thus the appearance of stepping in the bucket, its not the step its the hips. Appears to be very little if any weight transfer.

She can't get any weight on her back leg because she's so wide she falls forward as soon as she picks up her front foot.

I like wide too (per other poster) but you need to be able to ride that back leg a bit to get a good coil. A little narrower would help with the thought that the swing puts the front foot down, not shift then swing.

Aug 2, 2008
Does it matter that she is striding to a more open stance? It looks like she is not striding at the pitcher. What effect would that have if any?

Jun 18, 2010
Some great feedback. This is from this morning, filmed with coaches eye and uploaded to a youtube account. I'll try turning the iPad sideways next time.

MTS, I see the difference, and we worked on that today.

Moved the tee back.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She has a 2011 AND a 2012 xeno?! Lucky girl! Does that 2012 have the new usssa stamp on it?

Oct 25, 2009
Some great feedback. This is from this morning, filmed with coaches eye and uploaded to a youtube account. I'll try turning the iPad sideways next time.

MTS, I see the difference, and we worked on that today.

Moved the tee back.

She's not loading her bottom half. She's striding with no load—just stepping in other words.

Have her bring her front foot back near the short line that's in front of her rear foot with her front knee bent slightly and her front hip pocket showing to the pitcher. Start her stride there while maintaining the rear hip showing to the pitcher.

Once she's in a narrow starting stance like I just described, she could stand like that all day. It takes no effort, yet it loads everything that needs to be loaded at that point. Then it's simply a matter of striding to toe touch while the hands stay back in launch position until she fires.

This really works well. I believe the only reason many kids don't want to try this in the game is because it looks different. But it is very effective. I had a kid this week go from not even reaching the fence to hitting it well over a 210' fence.

PS: Babe Ruth's stance was very similar to what I'm trying to describe, if you need a model.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
She's not loading her bottom half. She's striding with no load—just stepping in other words.

Have her bring her front foot back near the short line that's in front of her rear foot with her front knee bent slightly and her front hip pocket showing to the pitcher. Start her stride there while maintaining the rear hip showing to the pitcher.

Once she's in a narrow starting stance like I just described, she could stand like that all day. It takes no effort, yet it loads everything that needs to be loaded at that point. Then it's simply a matter of striding to toe touch while the hands stay back in launch position until she fires.

This really works well. I believe the only reason many kids don't want to try this in the game is because it looks different. But it is very effective. I had a kid this week go from not even reaching the fence to hitting it well over a 210' fence.

PS: Babe Ruth's stance was very similar to what I'm trying to describe, if you need a model.

She loads a little bit, but only by making a slight shift to the back before stepping forward.

To keep it simple, turn the front hip in toward the plate as she puts weight on the back foot, then push from the butt. The front hip WILL rotate open.

Coil and then, push from the butt. Keep it simple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach