Dipping back knee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Got through Megan 1-tee... this improved DDs swing significantly. Recently, she as developed this dip in her back knee as she starts her swing causing her head (and upper body) to lower. The result is swinging under the ball. Any suggestions on how to correct this move?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
First ... do you believe that the swing will sit you? Many people do.

Second ... an overwhelming number of mishits will be 'below' the center of the ball as opposed to 'above' the center of the ball. It isn't like mishits are 50% 'below', or 60% 'below', or 70% 'below', or 80% 'below' ... but more. It is understandable why some use an approach of 'attacking from the top', 'hands above the ball', etc. (which does NOT mean 'swing down').

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I could tell from the first frame, the way she was naturally wiggling her hips and activating her legs that she'd naturally have a good start at a strong lower half move. And she does. Before you fix a bunch, do two things: 1) move the tee back just inside or at her front heel; she gets very wide and is still reaching out to the tee position (which starts a good six inches out front), and 2) narrow her stance just a little; she starts feet outside shoulders and ends up quite a bit wider still.

Do those two things and video it, see where she's at. She should be better balanced.

Overall, take the focus off the knee and focus on a firm back leg and coiling/uncoiling her rear hip over the top of it. Put the feel sensor, as FFS often says, at that point and not at the back knee. Don't actively do anything with the back knee.

Good luck.

Jun 18, 2010
I could tell from the first frame, the way she was naturally wiggling her hips and activating her legs that she'd naturally have a good start at a strong lower half move. .

LOL That's why we have her music playing in the background and not mine.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
First she is spinning on her back foot, squishing the bug. Her base is wide and then she is striding about 8 inches. It looks like she is spinning so hard on her back foot that her hips are over rotating early, thus the appearance of stepping in the bucket, its not the step its the hips. Appears to be very little if any weight transfer.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
First she is spinning on her back foot, squishing the bug. Her base is wide and then she is striding about 8 inches. It looks like she is spinning so hard on her back foot that her hips are over rotating early, thus the appearance of stepping in the bucket, its not the step its the hips. Appears to be very little if any weight transfer.

I don't agree ... in the first swing the eversion looks quite clear.

Look at the entire leg ... is it spinning as a unit? I don't believe it is.

I agree with the earlier poster ... move the tee back and let's take another look.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I like her width (stance and stride). I don't think she is squishing the bug, doesn't look to me like she has much weight on her back foot which I would consider squishing. I don't really see her dipping either.

She's a good girl, my dd would swing the bat at me if I gave her that much info while she is hitting.

WIDE: (not that I would ever recommend as wide as Mendoza, but you will see big hits from too wide, much more than you will see from too narrow)

[video]http://i27.tinypic.com/nvab1x.gif[/video]

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like her width (stance and stride). I don't think she is squishing the bug, doesn't look to me like she has much weight on her back foot which I would consider squishing. I don't really see her dipping either.

She's a good girl, my dd would swing the bat at me if I gave her that much info while she is hitting.

I heard the cues and liked that there was a swing thought ... something to work on ... a purpose on each swing. Would consider testing the notion of "coil around" versus "coil into".

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I heard the cues and liked that there was a swing thought ... something to work on ... a purpose on each swing. Would consider testing the notion of "coil around" versus "coil into".

Oh I like the cues too. I am being serious that she is good listening. My dd gets mad if I talk too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45