Dipping glove shoulder and arm slot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2020
DD is having difficulty with her arm slot. As her arm passes her hip from the back swing her hand can be six inches away from her body which means that when it's at 12 o'clock it's over her head. I guess it could be a chicken/egg situation but I think it's rooted in her glove shoulder dipping at push off. We do the kneeling drills to promote a true arm slot but it can get lost in translation during delivery. Any other drills I should know about? (I had her alternate casual underhand throws with pitches yesterday, as she doesn't dip doing those.)

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's not uncommon to see pitchers with arm circles that look a little out of whack. Having the ball over her head is ok as long as it's a result of her elbow being flexed. Without video it's difficult to say if there's an issue.

Apr 17, 2019
Real question is what's the arm path look like between 10 and 6 o'clock. If it isn't travelling parallel to the powerline there, I'd try putting a yardstick next to them and tell them to keep the ball over the powerline. Sometimes a visual works wonders.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Need video.

With respect, this could be a serious problem or nothing. The real issue is an what she looks like from 12 to 6.

Sep 15, 2015
Just my experience, but the arm circle tends to follow the shoulder line, with some variation for individual anatomy. To me your DD doesn’t seem any different. It’s just that the shoulders are very open, very early. A lot of pitchers never turn even to 90 degrees sideways, and here your DD turns open a little more than 90, as evidenced by her landing pretty far to the right. (Some pitchers like Abbot land that far to the right, but they don’t open near so much.) So one suggestion might be just to stride to the left more; draw a line from stride foot to target and have the stride foot land on that line. That change in stride direction alone may keep the hips at more of a 45 degree angle and less fully (or more than fully) open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2020
Just my experience, but the arm circle tends to follow the shoulder line, with some variation for individual anatomy. To me your DD doesn’t seem any different. It’s just that the shoulders are very open, very early. A lot of pitchers never turn even to 90 degrees sideways, and here your DD turns open a little more than 90, as evidenced by her landing pretty far to the right. (Some pitchers like Abbot land that far to the right, but they don’t open near so much.) So one suggestion might be just to stride to the left more; draw a line from stride foot to target and have the stride foot land on that line. That change in stride direction alone may keep the hips at more of a 45 degree angle and less fully (or more than fully) open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you mean with opening up. I think her PC had a similar thought saying she was knock kneed going into her delivery, and to try to bow her legs a bit. I like the cue you suggest. I'll try that.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Her arm circle is not uncommon, a lot of pitchers swing the ball up a little to the left of the center line and then up over the head. From that back view she looks okay to me. I always try to get my pitchers to bring the ball up in manner that maintains an inline circle but they often develop their own way of doing it. If you look at Blaire Luna you can see that she brings it up along her center line and over her head.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Her arm circle is not uncommon, a lot of pitchers swing the ball up a little to the left of the center line and then up over the head. From that back view she looks okay to me. I always try to get my pitchers to bring the ball up in manner that maintains an inline circle but they often develop their own way of doing it. If you look at Blaire Luna you can see that she brings it up along her center line and over her head.

It's nice to read your comments that every pitcher does NOT have to be
'exactly the same'! 👍

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee