Knee surgery next month sadly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
Well, we knew it was coming but did not think it would be this soon, but my middle DD who is in the 6th grade and 11 yo will have to get her knee fixed. Dr. Jasko at Marshall Sports had told us, after an MRI, that DD has Discoid Meniscus, which is a thickening of the meniscus and hers was really thick. Plus she has a tear in the back of it. This has always been her "popping" knee; we didn't know what caused it, but assumed it was related to Erlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) that she has, and per the dr in January, that is exactly what caused it. Her knee, when straightened would pop into place, almost violently sometimes; but it never hurt her and never affected sports. He said we could wait until after all her softball seasons were over and then do it unless it starts to hurt, swells, or it changes in some way. Well it changed last Thursday, 3 days after seeing the dr. for a checkup. Her knee that never ever hurt, popped the wrong way in class and she can't straighten her knee. Season is over for middle school and most of travel I am sure. In the sixth grade and she was going to get to contribute this year on what should be a good team, but now she has to wait - and for travel, well, we were really looking forward to that. I videoed her taking swings first day of practice and she had the prettiest swing she has ever had; I am really glad I videoed it now. Linked is a video I posted last year of her catching.

Oct 4, 2018
Sorry to hear it. I'm sure she's devastated.

In time, perhaps, it will be a blessing in disguise - if she can come back to a solid 4-years of high school and travel ball injury free. Wishing y'all the best.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My older daughter, a college freshman, just got back from the Spring Games with knee pain. She was diagnosed with a partially torn meniscus, which requires a small procedure. She'll be out 2-4 weeks.

Jun 19, 2020
One the bright side you have found it now, and are getting it fixed. There are all kinds of things you can work on during her recovery. DD started mental training focused on building confidence in the 7th grade. It made a huge difference in her mindset and approach to the sport. Freed her up to compete without worrying about the outcome. She's a junior now and we still work on the mental aspect of the game weekly. It may be a good time to introduce it if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478