Diamond 9 Fall Sun Classic?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Most every state has their HS season in the Spring. Not sure why a select few do it in the Fall but I think one of the reasons here in Oklahoma is that we have HS slow pitch softball which is in the Spring. Doesn't really matter to me at the moment as my kid is only in 4th grade ;)

Until you stated this, I had absolutely no idea there was such a sport as High School Slow Pitch softball. I played in adult men's leagues for the last 30 years, but being from Illinois/Wisconsin had never seen it at the high school level. Are there many more states that have this? Quick google search gave me Mississippi and OK and state of Washington. Interesting what things I don't know.

Jun 8, 2016
Until you stated this, I had absolutely no idea there was such a sport as High School Slow Pitch softball. I played in adult men's leagues for the last 30 years, but being from Illinois/Wisconsin had never seen it at the high school level. Are there many more states that have this? Quick google search gave me Mississippi and OK and state of Washington. Interesting what things I don't know.
I think you can probably count the number of states that have it one hand (maybe 2 but only using a few fingers on the second hand..)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Central and Northern Florida have it and it is pretty much universally hated... South Florida does not.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Most every state has their HS season in the Spring. Not sure why a select few do it in the Fall but I think one of the reasons here in Oklahoma is that we have HS slow pitch softball which is in the Spring. Doesn't really matter to me at the moment as my kid is only in 4th grade ;)

I know that Georgia plays its high school fastpitch season in the fall, but I don’t believe they have a separate slow pitch offering. Maybe there are less girls’ sports in the fall compared ro the spring, so it evens things out a bit. And I’m guessing it helps with any officiating shortage there may be by allowing umpires who go both ways to do baseball in the spring and softball in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
the lure of these overblown showcases in mind-boggling.

So, the place is "crawling with P5 coaches"?

Here's a secret: P5 coaches don't "window shop" at showcases.
If they are there, they are there to see a) a current recruit b) a potential recruit that has been touted by their personal network
If you don't fall into either of these categories, then you just paid and traveled to serve as a prop for the actual recruits to play against.
Doubtfully, are they ever at a game to watch a kid who emailed them last week out of the blue.
They just don't have the time/resources to pursue unknown "maybes".

Now, there are lots of other coaches there, too.
And there is certainly benefit in that, for most.

Never fails when a "known" college coach is watching a game that one parent strolls over to me and says "hey, look who's watching! Why don't you go talk to them?" Well, first off we have no kids on our team that would be a good fit for that school and secondly has any of our players been in communication with that coach? NO! For giggles, I usually talk to the coach, but it's usually not about our team. If they are remotely interested they will ask or come find me.

Although, at Boulder IDT last summer we had D1 coach asking about our pitcher that was already committed but in the process of decommitting from that school since she moved to Texas. The girl was pitching, and was getting pissed that her team wasn't holding it together while looking like a beast in the middle of sh$t storm. That coach was enthralled with her even though no one on our team had emailed him. She didn't have the scores nor was she interested in moving far away. So, I guess you can be discovered when you least expect it. But is VERY RARE!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yep, me neither, had no idea! I’m 54, graduated in 1983, slow pitch softball was ALL the girls played here at the time. In 1983 we had never heard of FP softball in NC. At least I’d never heard of it!

Still playing HS SP softball huh, see this is why I tune in here daily!

Apr 28, 2014
Some of us parents go to D9 to play top tier teams and for our committed girl's coaches to have the opportunity to see them play.

Mar 28, 2014
I have found that the same folks who pay big money to frequent big showcases in the hopes of "getting seen" are the same ones who have a retirement strategy that involves a quick pick. Admire their optimism at pursuing a long shot but certainly not an effective plan.
You act as though the parents are making these decisions individually. They are just along for the ride because the team/org is going. Most everyone knows it's a pricey boondoggle but it's the price you pay for being in the organization. Hell, you start putting the pencil to ANY of this travel ball stuff and none of it makes sense financially Mr. Dave Ramsey. :)

Most parents do it for the kids and the experience the kids will have. Memories will be made that will last a lifetime. You can't really put a price on that. Well I guess you can but who really wants to put a pencil to every decision a parent makes about raising their children?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You act as though the parents are making these decisions individually. They are just along for the ride because the team/org is going. Most everyone knows it's a pricey boondoggle but it's the price you pay for being in the organization. Hell, you start putting the pencil to ANY of this travel ball stuff and none of it makes sense financially Mr. Dave Ramsey. :)

Most parents do it for the kids and the experience the kids will have. Memories will be made that will last a lifetime. You can't really put a price on that. Well I guess you can but who really wants to put a pencil to every decision a parent makes about raising their children?
Totally missed the point of the post which really had little to do with big showcases, but a poor strategy with respect to recruiting. My DD was recruited by SC at D9. But her being there and the coach being there to see her pitch was not an accident. If you are there hoping for an accident you need to step up your recruiting game. Coaches are there for a reason. Is your DD one of those reasons?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32