No Fall Recruiting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Actually, Perfect Game baseball tournaments do have pitch counts. My ds’ 17U team played in one this summer and it was required to keep track and logged. Makes it difficult to win a tournament unless you have several good arms (but it is a good thing). Typically most National type baseball tournaments do have pitch counts that are enforced. Lower level TB tourneys in baseball are the ones that don’t, and I’ve seen kids used repeatedly unless a parent intervened.
Well I am glad to hear that. A lot of high school showcase teams don’t practice during the week which leaves the kids on their own to make sure they throw. Not throwing during the week and then going out on the weekend and throwing max effort and high volume is a recipe for injury.

May 27, 2013
Well I am glad to hear that. A lot of high school showcase teams don’t practice during the week which leaves the kids on their own to make sure they throw. Not throwing during the week and then going out on the weekend and throwing max effort and high volume is a recipe for injury.
Totally agree. My ds’ TB coaches were great. One was a HS pitching coach and the other was a former MLB player. They definitely were concerned about overuse injuries and never put the pitchers’ arms in jeopardy. We were lucky to have them as coaches.

Oct 26, 2019
Totally agree. My ds’ TB coaches were great. One was a HS pitching coach and the other was a former MLB player. They definitely were concerned about overuse injuries and never put the pitchers’ arms in jeopardy. We were lucky to have them as coaches.
As a HS coach we would start in January slowly ramping up their arms. Adding pitches and intensity through March when games started. Then we would build them up each outing so we were peaking at the end of the season in early June. Then they would go the it own way for summer ball and most rode the arm strength we built in the spring and that carried them through the end of July even though most of them were not throwing as much as they should to prepare for pitching the summer ball games.

Then came August where they would totally shut down. Normally that’s not in and of itself a bad thing, except those same kids would go throw in a Labor Day tournament after not pitching all of August. This consistently was the single biggest weekend my pitchers would get hurt. Then they usually spend the rest of the fall shut down until January where we would start the whole process over again.

May 27, 2013
As a HS coach we would start in January slowly ramping up their arms. Adding pitches and intensity through March when games started. Then we would build them up each outing so we were peaking at the end of the season in early June. Then they would go the it own way for summer ball and most rode the arm strength we built in the spring and that carried them through the end of July even though most of them were not throwing as much as they should to prepare for pitching the summer ball games.

Then came August where they would totally shut down. Normally that’s not in and of itself a bad thing, except those same kids would go throw in a Labor Day tournament after not pitching all of August. This consistently was the single biggest weekend my pitchers would get hurt. Then they usually spend the rest of the fall shut down until January where we would start the whole process over again.

We skipped fall ball this past season with DS. He finished TB the beginning of August and then started hitting the gym again after about a month off. He just started his velocity program a couple of weeks ago with his PC (start slow and build). Also still going to the gym. He will then start indoor sessions with his HS team mid-January. They just throw bull pens there, don’t really follow a program. I’m glad he will be ahead of the game instead of starting up “cold-turkey.”

Sounds like you do it the right way.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Disagree. I do think there is some value to seeing a kid in person a few times. There are definitely intangibles that aren’t clear on the live game feed. A lot of the online stuff and things coaches are sent is worthless because it’s just a highlight reel. If you’re a good coach I’m sure you are looking more at movement and technique than the actual result of the play but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When contacting a college coach does/should the player mention their travel team and there hitting stats? BA.380 OBP .474 OPS 1.069 ???

Oct 26, 2019
We skipped fall ball this past season with DS. He finished TB the beginning of August and then started hitting the gym again after about a month off. He just started his velocity program a couple of weeks ago with his PC (start slow and build). Also still going to the gym. He will then start indoor sessions with his HS team mid-January. They just throw bull pens there, don’t really follow a program. I’m glad he will be ahead of the game instead of starting up “cold-turkey.”

Sounds like you do it the right way.
That’s smart. In a perfect world kids would pitch spring and then either summer or fall, but not both. When I had kids commit early this was one of the bonuses. They could train more and showcase less.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Disagree. I do think there is some value to seeing a kid in person a few times. There are definitely intangibles that aren’t clear on the live game feed. A lot of the online stuff and things coaches are sent is worthless because it’s just a highlight reel. If you’re a good coach I’m sure you are looking more at movement and technique than the actual result of the play but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I agree there is definitely value in seeing a kid/ Prospect in person a few times but it doesn't have to be with the college coaches traveling to figure out where they might be,
( consider they are not just looking at one player they could be looking at several players that aren't participating in the same venue or state = can't see all anyway)
That's why I commented camps will be become more abundant!
Bring the prospects to the camp brings revenue and see the prospect at the same time plus saves on the budget of Coach not having to travel.
At camps they could have several prospects participating right next to each other.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Lots of players get signed out of the portal without the coach ever seeing them live. Seeing a player live is overrated IMO. Particularly for position players. You could watch 2 full games and see a 3b make 2 plays and bat 4 times. Total. What has that really done for a coach?

Actually it may hurt coaches more than help because they see some kid have an all-time best day and sign them based on that, then the kid shows up to college and the coach realizes they made a mistake. I know a kid that had zero interest from D1 get a D1 offer because she had 2 good AB's against a P who had signed with Tennessee. Kid showed up to campus and rode the pine for 4 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles