No Fall Recruiting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Lots of players get signed out of the portal without the coach ever seeing them live.
Transfer portal players have already been tested against college element. Players have already accumulated college stats to review along with college GPA. They either have a proven track record or a failed one. Would not assume coaches have not seen these players in live games.

Jul 19, 2021
Transfer portal players have already been tested against college element. Players have already accumulated college stats to review along with college GPA. They either have a proven track record or a failed one. Would not assume coaches have not seen these players in live games.
Not altogether true. While I completely understand the premise of having a track record, many many many of those girls, the vast majority I would bet, are in the portal because they didn't get any playing time. So how is it that the coach saw them live? Remember, this is discussing whether or not seeing them live is very important or not. If a girl bats .110 in 5 ab's at a D1 school, or flip it and say they bat .500 in 6 AB's. Either way, what exactly has any coach learned about them with such a small dataset? Nothing. Yet they still get signed. Without the coach having seen them play live.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not altogether true. While I completely understand the premise of having a track record, many many many of those girls, the vast majority I would bet, are in the portal because they didn't get any playing time. So how is it that the coach saw them live? Remember, this is discussing whether or not seeing them live is very important or not. If a girl bats .110 in 5 ab's at a D1 school, or flip it and say they bat .500 in 6 AB's. Either way, what exactly has any coach learned about them with such a small dataset? Nothing. Yet they still get signed. Without the coach having seen them play live.
What might be more helpful than their college experience if there is much in the way of stats or playing time is which TB team they played for previously. College coach may know the TB coach and might get a better read on the player.

Years ago was talking to a mid major D1 coach and he said that he prefers not to bring in Juco players and transfers. He has 5 Transfers on his team now.

Mar 10, 2020
There is also a portion of transfer portal players that will go nowhere. That is what you are describing. Transfer portal is not a ticket to ride somewhere else.

Jun 8, 2016
I would say for a good majority of players projecting to the college game is not easy, regardless of how much you see them. Not as hard as drafting a 17 YO kid out of HS and trying to figure out how good they are going to be in 5 or 6 years, but hard nonetheless.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Does anyone know exactly how portal rules works. For example, can an interested coach invite a portal player for a workout/tryout? Taking a player out of portal with limited stats and never seeing them seems like a bigger risk than taking some 17 year old that has been to your camp and you have seen play a few times. How often do coaches ask for TB stats or check max preps stats?

Jun 8, 2016
Does anyone know exactly how portal rules works. For example, can an interested coach invite a portal player for a workout/tryout? Taking a player out of portal with limited stats and never seeing them seems like a bigger risk than taking some 17 year old that has been to your camp and you have seen play a few times. How often do coaches ask for TB stats or check max preps stats?
Probably a good chance that many of the transfers happen with kids who were recruited by the school they are transferring to.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Probably a good chance that many of the transfers happen with kids who were recruited by the school they are transferring to.
That's probably true. Never thought about that. Probably a little "I tolded you so" and less money than previously offered.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In following players out of high school recruitment strategies,
Along with speaking with college coaches,
College coaches have a very hard time organizing road trips to go watch players and actually get the opportunity to see them on the field performing. This is why I talk about going to Camp's often!

Because the college coaches get direct opportunity to see the players perform, along with opportunities to chit chat with them. Get to know a little piece of their personality. Along with seeing the players are making an individualized decision to prioritize the college. Which generally those camps include a campus visit, so the college coaches know the players are putting in the effort and learning of the demographic of the college campus and location of it. Including the weather. Including have heard college coaches say I want you to come visit here in the winter so you know what it will be like.

Multiple conversations with college coaches they have said I like to see players attending our camps and how we run things. How we speak to the players on the field. It has to be a good fit, we all can benefit from this.

May 27, 2013
I guess the one thing a coach might see in-person at showcases vs camps is the player’s character. A coach can make themselves go unnoticed at a showcase if they really wanted to and can watch the player’s reactions to how they are pitching, hitting, or fielding that day. They can also see their interactions with their coaches, teammates, and parents; and how much or little they support their team while not playing. Most likely won’t see the “true” character at a camp when a player tends to be on their best behavior.

I also imagine a quick call to the player’s HS or TB coach can also provide some insight into this, as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles