Position Switching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2022
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advise from those who have more experience with travel ball. My dau has been playing travel ball for 2 years (12U) and the majority of the time has played catcher with some outfield and third base. She was offered a position on a new team this year as catcher and outfield. Last week she expressed she has some frustration with catching and would like to play more third this coming year. My question is, should I wait until the fall season starts to bring this up to the coach? What's the best way of going about this to a new team as I'm worried they may think we are "rocking the boat"? I want to stay in good standing with the coaches while still listening to my dau and give her the opportunities she is looking for. TIA

May 13, 2023
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advise from those who have more experience with travel ball. My dau has been
Before approaching coach about this since she just expressed frustration one week ago. Possibly good to take a look at that situation.
playing travel ball for 2 years (12U) and the majority of the time has played catcher with some outfield and third base.
Did she enjoy catching while in those two years? Probably so to take a position on a new team to be a catcher and Outfield.
like to ask a couple questions to Think Through feedback.

She was offered a position on a new team this year as catcher and outfield.
How long has she been on new team?
Last week she expressed she has some frustration with catching
Frustration from what? What is causing the frustration?

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Frustration from what? What is causing the frustration?

That is the key question. There are LOTS of reasons to become frustrated as a catcher ... it is physically demanding both endurance-wise (some coaches can demand too much) and physicality-wise (catchers take unrelenting abuse to their bodies); it is mentally draining (there is a reason the catcher is the field general) and challenging; and can be fatiguing on a player's psyche (the player may be in an unwanted "center of attention" position, the coach may place too much on a catcher, etc.). Not saying any of those are the reason, but identify what it is so you know.

It may be something where she is wanting to try something new and just needs a break. It may be something that she has decided she is done with. Catching, like pitching, is not for everybody, even if they seem good at it.

Whatever it is, talk with her to figure out what it is that she is burned out on and what she wants. Then encourage HER to have an honest conversation with her coach about that. Not you, HER.

Learning new positions is definitely good. It allows you to study the game from another perspective. It allows you to develop new skills and physical attributes. Most importantly, especially at younger ages, it alleviates the repetitive stress activities. If she comes back to catching, it will only make her better.

Jul 18, 2022
That is the key question. There are LOTS of reasons to become frustrated as a catcher ... it is physically demanding both endurance-wise (some coaches can demand too much) and physicality-wise (catchers take unrelenting abuse to their bodies); it is mentally draining (there is a reason the catcher is the field general) and challenging; and can be fatiguing on a player's psyche (the player may be in an unwanted "center of attention" position, the coach may place too much on a catcher, etc.). Not saying any of those are the reason, but identify what it is so you know.
A lot of these have something to do with it! She played 10U first year, then 12U this year and now moving up to 14U. She learned this year through weekly lessons, practices and tryouts that catching is MUCH more than having a ball pitched to you. She likes it but I think she is realizing how much goes into it.

Jul 18, 2022
Did she enjoy catching while in those two years?

How long has she been on new team?

Frustration from what? What is causing the frufrustration
Yes, she loved catching when they asked her to fill in but in the last two years they didn't have much guidance besides catch and block the ball. I put her in lessons to prepare her for tryouts since we were looking for a more competitive team. She learned quickly that there is more to it. I'm not sure if it's her confidence is low bc she isn't learning quickly or if it's too much for her. We start playing with new team next month for fall ball.

May 13, 2023
Yes, she loved catching when they asked her to fill in but in the last two years they didn't have much guidance besides catch and block the ball. I put her in lessons to prepare her for tryouts since we were looking for a more competitive team. She learned quickly that there is more to it.

I'm not sure if it's her confidence is low bc she isn't learning quickly or if it's too much for her.
That looks like a conversation to have with her. You mentioned it's a lot of work to put in and it certainly is. I think that is an important thing to narrow down and ask her if she wants to dedicate the time to training. Putting in the work can help build confidence if she starts to see productivity. But the question is does she want to put in that work? Should know that is a question that other catchers have to ask themselves in their Journey as well.

We start playing with new team next month for fall ball.

After you have the conversation and she decides the answer. That would be appropriate time to speak to the coach *before you start playing next month about her goal to transition to Third Base instead of catching (if that's what she wants to do). Being a fill in Catcher might still help the team. However the coach can know that's not really her goal if that's what she has chosen not to do. Also important to find out ahead of time if there is a need for third base.
imo the more time you give the coach to work out this situation (if they need to) the better.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Re: How much work it is

Yes, being a great catcher is a lot of work. But she's 12u. She doesn't have to be a GREAT catcher right now. She doesn't need to be working at it night and day. She can be an adequate catcher with less practice.

Why do that?

For one thing, it sounds like maybe she's a bit overwhelmed. Whether it's physically, mentally, or both, maybe she's trying to get out of doing it at all because it seems like too much. The other thing is that by doing less and being less, she might see others catching up or passing her and that could get her to buy back in. So let her cut back for a while. She'll either realize she has to do more if she wants to be great or she'll confirm that it's not for her.

The thought that maybe she doesn't want to do it because she thinks she's not good at some part of the job could be it, too. So, here's the thing: Catching the ball is like 90% of being a catcher, especially at that age. She can learn all the other stuff in time. Throwing runners out is great. Being a great blocker is important. Being the leader on the field is (eventually) necessary. But really, be a great receiver and good coaches will want her because that's most of the job.

Oct 4, 2018
Re: How much work it is

Yes, being a great catcher is a lot of work. But she's 12u. She doesn't have to be a GREAT catcher right now. She doesn't need to be working at it night and day. She can be an adequate catcher with less practice.

Why do that?

For one thing, it sounds like maybe she's a bit overwhelmed. Whether it's physically, mentally, or both, maybe she's trying to get out of doing it at all because it seems like too much. The other thing is that by doing less and being less, she might see others catching up or passing her and that could get her to buy back in. So let her cut back for a while. She'll either realize she has to do more if she wants to be great or she'll confirm that it's not for her.

The thought that maybe she doesn't want to do it because she thinks she's not good at some part of the job could be it, too. So, here's the thing: Catching the ball is like 90% of being a catcher, especially at that age. She can learn all the other stuff in time. Throwing runners out is great. Being a great blocker is important. Being the leader on the field is (eventually) necessary. But really, be a great receiver and good coaches will want her because that's most of the job.

Really well said.

Softball should be fun. I'd argue it should be fun all the time, but it really should be fun at younger ages. And being catcher makes it a lot more fun for a lot of girls. You get to touch the ball more, you're involved in every single play. It's fun.

No catcher can catch every pitch or throw out every runner. At younger ages we spectators are impressed if they throw out a runner ever. It's really hard to do.

I know many above average catchers in 14U who don't take catching lessons and never have. So you're ahead of the game there (in my opinion). And lastly, being a good catcher makes it so much easier to find new teams. Get good at it and teams will come to you. I'm watching several position players have problems finding new travel teams. Saying "I play 1B" isn't going to get as much interest as being a catcher.

May 13, 2023
@MidwestMom what tournaments will this new 14U team be playing?

She played 10U first year, then 12U this year and now moving up to 14U.
Going to 14u now. (after one year of 12u) probably means steeper learning curve to that next level. 14U generally more experienced bigger players.

She learned this year through weekly lessons, practices and tryouts that catching is MUCH more than having a ball pitched to you.
Good for her Paying attention to what she has been experiencing! Gathering knowledge!
She likes it but I think she is realizing how much goes into it.
This ⬆️ stands out to me,
The fact the player is recognizing there is more to catching than just receiving pitches! Far more than just squatting down and catching a ball!
It's good she is recognizing there is another level to the position!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles