No Fall Recruiting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
At the NFCA coaches convention there was talk of considering not allowing fall recruiting.

Let's say this does happen, what do you think the TB landscape would look like? More on-campus camps? Remember these coaches are still working with their teams during the fall. Who do you think would be driving this? Can you hear the loud gulp sound from the TB organizations and Tourney Directors? What unintended consequences would arise? TB needs college coaches. College Coaches need TB.

This article did not provide any substance, but they are talking about it.
https://extrainningsoftball.com/fal...assionate-responses-to-our-story-from-monday/

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for posting OS, I referenced this story in another thread and could not, for the life of me, remember where I saw it. You’ve confirmed that dementia doesn’t have its grips on me. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes more camps = money makers.

Replace College road trip budget with bringing perspective prospects to them makes complete sense.

Travel ball and showcasing is scattered everywhere now.
For the athletes that are interested in particular colleges, camps is best way to get name in front of coaches and where can get noticed.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Stuff I saw said the top P5 teams were driving it.
This was posted on facebook by Iver McDonald sister of Sharonda McDonald.

Many DI softball schools are in favor of eliminating Fall recruiting because of time and budget.
With PSA’s being able to take 5 official visits, people are taking them and it’s costing the schools $$$$$ and time in the Fall.
If a new coach comes in late summer then this makes it really difficult for them not having Fall recruiting but I could see how veteran coaches would benefit.
I also know that all other divisions loved when DI schools couldn’t recruit during Covid because they got looks from better players who let’s face it were then fishing in the right pond.
How does DI schools not recruiting in the Fall change recruiting?
(Also I have no idea when/if they would officially vote on this but I’m speculating it’s coming)

P5's are gonna P5. They will get who they want. TB pipelines to certain schools is well established. These college coaches are probably worn out with all the travel. They are probably thinking, why am I out here when I can host a camp every weekend and sleep in my own bed?

Would D2, D3 Juco, Naia coaches restricted to this rule or just D1?

Dec 19, 2021
What are the current D1 fall window rules? It seemed like there was a lot of watching and very little talking except for the girls that had already signed their NLI.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We have a pitching lesson tonight with my daughter's PC. She was at the meeting last week. I will ask her what she heard at the meeting and report back.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, I got some details as to why this is in the table. It turns out the college coaches realized that TB coaches are burning out their pitchers. The Oklahoma PC gave a 9 hour course on how they prepare and got through the season. Their pitchers are conditioned to be able to throw 400 pitches at the CWS, and they build up to that level over the entire season.

The coach showed detailed GC pitch counts where girls were throwing upwards of 800 pitches over a three-day weekend event. Many pitchers are showing up to college either injured or burned out, so the thinking is if they shutdown fall showcases, the girls will get a chance to recuperate. Whether this goes through or not remains to be seen, but I think we can all agree some TB coaches have been known to abuse some pitchers.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Oklahoma played 5 innings 3/4 of the games last year so I am not sure how relevant her advice is to the rest of the world 😂
I think the point is the pitchers are coming to them already broken from travel. But, I get what you're saying. I would venture a guess to say they played the fewest innings of any team in the WCWS due to all of their mercy wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles