Diamond 9 Fall Sun Classic?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You really expect your state high school association to schedule its games around other events happening in the country? Really?
He was probably talking in general, e.g. having HS softball in the Fall kind of puts kids at a disadvantage because of the amount of showcases which happen in the Fall. There are complaints here in Oklahoma about that very thing.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
the lure of these overblown showcases in mind-boggling.

So, the place is "crawling with P5 coaches"?

Here's a secret: P5 coaches don't "window shop" at showcases.
If they are there, they are there to see a) a current recruit b) a potential recruit that has been touted by their personal network
If you don't fall into either of these categories, then you just paid and traveled to serve as a prop for the actual recruits to play against.
Doubtfully, are they ever at a game to watch a kid who emailed them last week out of the blue.
They just don't have the time/resources to pursue unknown "maybes".

Now, there are lots of other coaches there, too.
And there is certainly benefit in that, for most.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
He was probably talking in general, e.g. having HS softball in the Fall kind of puts kids at a disadvantage because of the amount of showcases which happen in the Fall. There are complaints here in Oklahoma about that very thing.
Perhaps. But I can assure you the HS state association isn't going to be compelled to change its fall season to the spring on the argument that a select few students are missing out on playing in college showcases. The vast majority of girls who play HS ball aren't too concerned about elite travel ball.

Jun 8, 2016
Perhaps. But I can assure you the HS state association isn't going to be compelled to change its fall season to the spring on the argument that a select few students are missing out on playing in college showcases. The vast majority of girls who play HS ball aren't too concerned about elite travel ball.
Most every state has their HS season in the Spring. Not sure why a select few do it in the Fall but I think one of the reasons here in Oklahoma is that we have HS slow pitch softball which is in the Spring. Doesn't really matter to me at the moment as my kid is only in 4th grade ;)

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib

If they are there, they are there to see a) a current recruit b) a potential recruit that has been touted by their personal network
If you don't fall into either of these categories, then you just paid and traveled to serve as a prop for the actual recruits to play against.

It’s all about doing the right things at the right time in the front of the right people. We played a strong Midwest team in a summer showcase and a P5 school was in attendance to see some players from that team. Our team impressed the coach so she showed up for several of our remaining games that weekend. A few girls went to camp at the P5 school afterwards and got great feedback from the coaches. Sure enough the P5 Coach was at our games Saturday and Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Doubtfully, are they ever at a game to watch a kid who emailed them last week out of the blue.
They just don't have the time/resources to pursue unknown "maybes".

Now, there are lots of other coaches there, too.
And there is certainly benefit in that, for most.

I have found that the same folks who pay big money to frequent big showcases in the hopes of "getting seen" are the same ones who have a retirement strategy that involves a quick pick. Admire their optimism at pursuing a long shot but certainly not an effective plan.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Hahahaha - OMG, no one is saying that they hope to catch a P5 coach’s eye just by showing up to play at D9. I don’t think any of us are that naive on here; however, just pointing out that many of those coaches do attend that particular showcase, and it is pretty cool to see them hanging around catching a game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hahahaha - OMG, no one is saying that they hope to catch a P5 coach’s eye just by showing up to play at D9. I don’t think any of us are that naive on here; however, just pointing out that many of those coaches do attend that particular showcase, and it is pretty cool to see them hanging around catching a game.

You would be surprised to find out that is exactly what is happening. I know for a fact that is the recruiting strategy for many teams. In their mind if they pay the money it is up to the Showcase to bring in in coaches so they can see little Susie do something awesome and boom, a 4 year full ride deal at DreamU. Then they wonder why their kids never get recruited.

May 27, 2013
T
You would be surprised to find out that is exactly what is happening. I know for a fact that is the recruiting strategy for many teams. In their mind if they pay the money it is up to the Showcase to bring in in coaches so they can see little Susie do something awesome and boom, a 4 year full ride deal at DreamU. Then they wonder why their kids never get recruited.
Those of us who post on here think that? After being on this board for a while I highly doubt it.
Some of the teams who show up at D9 in general? Yeah, of course. I’m well aware of the fact that many teams, coaches, players, parent expect to get recruited by top level DI programs if they just show up and play.
However, I like to give those who post on here the benefit of doubt since they come here to learn and educate themselves about the exact situation you describe above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi