Demonstrating a product with an illegal pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't know why, but I just found this amusing. Check out the video demo for this pitching mat, using Jennie Finch as the hook. Around the 14 second mark, Jennie throws a pitch with her front foot clearly off the pitching rubber. You would think someone would've seen this and done another take.

Apr 13, 2010
That's really weird. I can't think of any reason why you would want to hop and replant like that. The entire video is like that. And in the interview she says she can see where she is pushing off........well, apparently not.

Jul 26, 2010
One of the things that's always bothered me about Jennie Finch is that, while her pitching is absolutely spectacular, if you listen to her teach and instruct, it's nothing like how she actually pitches.

I realize that she's trying to teach a method where the priority is safety and injury prevention rather then the pitching she is known for, but it's always struck an off chord with me.

She's probably never pitched on this contraption before, and someone asked her to come in and do a video. I don't know if any of you who have ever tried the device, but it's much different then pitching on dirt. You're not going to do it right the first time.

-W

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I do use mats like this all the time when teaching. I find them to be better than using the empty floor, because there is at least a point of reference. But they can lead to walking off issues if you're not careful. I've seen that happen before.

By the way, illegal pitch or not I did order a couple of them. The places I teach in have turf floors, and the rubber mats don't stay in place there. I'm hoping the foam backing works like Velcro on a turf surface as-advertised. I'll let y'all know when I get them.

Jun 13, 2009
This is why I am a Hillhouse fan. He teaches exactly what he does himself. Finch does not. She teaches the "Hello elbow" thing at clinics but she does NOTHING like that when she pitches in games. It's ridiculous. That said, it's easy to laugh at this video and call the pitch illegal but, I see this as a very marginal call. Her front foot does shuffle forward but I think if the heel would've been down on the ground, she'd have been in contact with the rubber. And all of you guys that sit on buckets and shake your heads at this have obviously never tried pitching yourself. In a game or on a field. Holes in the ground prevent a pitcher from sometimes doing things with 100% correctness. I've tried it. Pitching indoors as she is doing here is totally different from being outside. I just think many on here should legitmately try it before you cast stones.

Oct 19, 2009
We just finished HS ball in GA, we had a team that was undefeated and won state a first for a HS in GA, great team and a fine buch of kids.

The paper had a picture of their pitcher with her drive foot, at least three inches off the ground, the caption read XXXXXXX pitcher from XXXXX XXXXX takes flight. I also thought that was funny.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've done it, George. If you transfer your weight before push-off you can keep the foot on the pitching rubber, indoors or out. If you move the foot before weight transfer you'll walk off.

But the point is this isn't a game. It's a video shot specifically to sell a product. I'm a marketing guy by trade. Someone should've seen it, realized it was illegal, and asked for another take. You certainly wouldn't want to highlight it.

Jul 28, 2008
As for the mats, I go to my local box store and head to the carpet runner section. I buy a length of that for $10, rather than pay the big bucks for a powerline pitching mat. I guess I'm frugal. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi