Illegal pitch in Supers?? VA Tech vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
The UCLA coaches could complain to the umpires, right? I am sure somebody on the UCLA side noticed this so would there be a reason they aren't saying anything?
Nail on the head. I didn't see anyone from UCLA talking to the umps about it although we don't see everything happening on TV.

If I am coaching I am in that umps ear about it for sure, especially while down runs. Just to put something in the head of the ump and hopefully the opposing pitcher who is clearly kicking my A**. Just a bit surprised UCLA didn't appear to question it from what I saw.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Congrats to the ACC with wins by FSU and VT yesterday. Although Duke and Clemson lost, I believe the former All Cupcake Conference is emerging as a solid softball conference, ahead of the Big 10 and Big 8 and chasing the SEC. This season, might actually be as strong as the Pac 12. Notre Dame also had a nice win in the tournament vs. Kentucky (I believe). Five really solid teams.

As for the illegal pitch, I'm not an expert on spotting stuff like that, but didn't see anything wrong. Didn't see every pitch. Remember that the camera angle isn't directly behind the pitcher (or else you couldn't see the batter). So a pitcher on the far right of the pitching plate might appear to be farther right on stride foot than she really is.
It's a good point but the illegal pitch was happening. Went back and re-watched the game earlier and it definitely was going on. Not every pitch for sure and the majority of pitches were completely legal but she definitely got outside the lines more than a hand full of times. And I love that she does that! Love a kid that pushes the boundaries. Just surprised UCLA didn't use it to their advantage and question the ump, put it in his head which in turn might get into the pitchers head.

If I get time this weekend I will try to post a video of it hear on some of the pitches.

Regardless, that VT pitcher is LIGHTS OUT! I mean real real good!!! Love seeing it and anxious for the game tonight as I am sure she will be pitching again.

Enjoy the games everyone. Such a fun weekend!!

S3

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
No comments about the batters box in today's OU/UW game? They must have used the crews that chalk Marcela's games... :LOL:

I was going to and then got side tracked. That was crazy how close they were. The river was a creek.

Couple questions.....

1. How does the umpire not notice and make them fix it?

2. If it required a formal request/protest from one of the coaches....why didn’t they?

My opinion is both coaches understood the disadvantage to the opposing pitcher(s). Advantage hitter.

How’s the chant go? “We like free bases....”

Jun 8, 2016
I was going to and then got side tracked. That was crazy how close they were. The river was a creek.

Couple questions.....

1. How does the umpire not notice and make them fix it?

2. If it required a formal request/protest from one of the coaches....why didn’t they?

My opinion is both coaches understood the disadvantage to the opposing pitcher(s). Advantage hitter.

How’s the chant go? “We like free bases....”
It was supposedly pointed out to the umpire and I guess he just decided to not measure it?? What I don't understand is that if the foul lines were correct, and they use a form for the batters box, how does that even happen?? Doesn't make any sense...

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It was supposedly pointed out to the umpire and I guess he just decided to not measure it?? What I don't understand is that if the foul lines were correct, and they use a form for the batters box, how does that even happen?? Doesn't make any sense...

It wouldn’t have caused that much of a delay to measure and redo.

In the end an overall non-issue
I guess. But very weird for this to happen during such a large event.

The umpires in DD’s league will often redraw the box lines and still get it right.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I knew somebody would bring this up and rightfully so. Not sure how it even happens and seemed to me only be an issue in the 1st. Still not right and need to figure out the forms tomorrow. But Gabby would have hit those batters if the lines were 2 feet from the plate IMHO. She was off today. Only hurt them for 1 run so not huge but I am sure OU grounds crew will make sure it is right tomorrow.

In other news, how about FSU?? Hell of a game and happy to see them move forward! I had them picked so even happier.

James Madison game is going strong as well. I have Missouri for sure but dang.....who knows.

S3

Jun 8, 2016
I don't think it had much of an effect on the game but I really don't understand how it can even happen..are the forms adjustable or something? If the foul lines are right, and they meet the batters box at the correct location, unless the forms are the wrong size, it is impossible...

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I was thinking the same exact thing. I am bewildered by it to be honest. Seems impossible I totally agree.

Bet tomorrow it will be stretched a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom