DD ordered to intentionally hit the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I do have a question for the coaches out there though. What is your opinion about calling for high and tight fastballs on known bunters? It is my normal strategy but it makes me nervous sometimes because I don't know how well the kids can get out of the way if one gets a little loose.

I don't even need to call it anymore. If the girl turns to bunt my DD is going to throw high and inside no matter what the pitch call was and her catcher knows it.

Again, you are not throwing high and inside to intentionally hit anyone - you are throwing it as an appropriate reaction to a someone bunting. If they have terrible bunting technique or it isn't perfect and it happens to hit the batter, then so be it.

Feb 7, 2013
I have never called a hit and will never call a hit, but the righteous indignation, moral outrage and spouting of absolutes is making my freaking head spin. Battery?

The situation we are talking about is when a pitcher intentionally throws a fastball at the rib cage of a defenseless batter to do harm. Then read the legal definition below. See any comparisons?

Definition of "Battery": an intentional unpermitted act causing harmful or offensive contact with the "person" of another.

The following elements must be proven to establish a case for battery: (1) an act by a defendant; (2) an intent to cause harmful or offensive contact on the part of the defendant; and (3) harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiff.

My point is that there is this "unwritten rule" in baseball and softball that its somehow ok for the pitcher to throw the ball at batters for "disrespecting them, hitting a home run, etc." IMO, we need to put an end to this nonsense in the game. Remember the video of the coach who told the catcher to move out of the way of the pitch so that they could "bean" the umpire who they disagreed with on a few calls? Disgusting behavior, if you don't come down hard on the coach and players, this behavior will continue to happen.

Jun 12, 2015
Obviously as a 10u parent, that is my perspective. I can't predict how I'll feel in 16u. It is hard for me to imagine thinking intentionally hitting a batter, particularly when we're talking about kids (as opposed to adults) is ok though.

Jul 20, 2013
My girl is 10, she'd probably cry if she had to do it lol. Knowing her she'd probably freeze up and not go through with it, not even be able to do the next pitch maybe - she's sensitive like that. Won't say the words jerk, stupid, dumb lol.

On one hand I can see the coach asking his own girl to do it, but to ask another girl...another person's daughter that's something different to me. I would be highly offended if I found out, having another adult ask my child to risk injury to another person's child...that just makes me think this coach has a poor level of respect for his players and the parents as well. Could've been poor judgement at a hot moment, hell I have a lot of those regularly, but it's a hot issue that can go farther than intended.

Dec 15, 2012
Hitting a batter the first time is unsettling for young pitchers. First time it happened with my daughter, our coach went to the mound and asked her if she did it on purpose? When she replied no, he told her it's part of the game.
This little bit of encouragement helped her to not change her technique in the middle of the inning.

Jan 22, 2011
First time my DD hit a batter in an 8u tournament I asked her if she was upset when she hit the batter. She said 'No, her elbow was over the plate. Why did the umpire give her the base?'

Nov 16, 2015
First time my DD hit a batter in an 8u tournament I asked her if she was upset when she hit the batter. She said 'No, her elbow was over the plate. Why did the umpire give her the base?'

That is awesome. She can pitch on my team anyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi