Throwing Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Numbers about this have been posted before on this website regarding this. Apparently a refresher in math was needed. So I posted it again. 🙂
@LEsoftballdad may want to use that time calculator!

Apparently looking at the reaction time calculator 20 mph difference makes reaction time very noticeable different.
(At least for me it was.)

Looking at calculating times it appears the difference needs to be about 30 mph increase from Fastpitch to baseball to be nearly equivalent in reaction time.
And the equivalency numbers take into account the reaction time based on the chart you had posted here:

May 13, 2023
Example,
Playing Against pitcher Michelle Granger who was known to break 70 mph. When she was a teenager still throwing from 40 feet. Here is an example of reaction time before pitching got moved back to 43 ft. (Where we know batting averages grew.)

Look at this #'s from 40 feet fp.
Screenshot_20231022-072026_Chrome.jpg

Here is #'s at release point ⬇️
Screenshot_20231022-072040_Chrome.jpg

Apr 14, 2022
Hmmm that subtracted 7 ft of equivalent release point. Take a look at the article posted it utilized
-5.5 for bb
-6.0 for fp

I do agree specifically having an accurate release Point number to measure is influential to the math. But for a base to look at from pitching distance was available to use for the calculator.
The extra foot is because it is 43’ to the back of the plate. I assumed contact over the plate.

May 13, 2023
The extra foot is because it is 43’ to the back of the plate. I assumed contact over the plate.
✔️
And other variables can come into play like height/ lengths of stride of pitchers.

This discussion May come into effect as pitchers are leaping and gaining ground another foot 🤷‍♀️ marginal differences in reaction time that may have Merit

May 13, 2023
So essentially, those baseball pitchers were throwing the equivalent of mid-50’s to maybe low 60’s in softball depending on where in the 80’s they were sitting. I would assume you were used to seeing faster than that by playing on a top D1 softball team back then (assuming the top pitchers you faced were hitting mid-60s). It’s no surprise then that you had to wait for the pitch to get there.
Yes definitely used to seeing faster pitching! Hitting and catching.
Top pitchers 70mph. From 40 feet.
High 60's at Long Beach State.

In high school enjoyed going Friday nights when everyone went to the local amusement center with bumper cars video games air hockey and a roller rink.
(Think Karate Kid movie LOL)
They had batting cages where you could step into the 90 mile an hour cage. It was fun to step in and crush them 😁🥳 then go to roller rink and skate to Disco and rock and roll...
'everybody skate backwards' good times!

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
✔️
And other variables can come into play like height/ lengths of stride of pitchers.

This discussion May come into effect as pitchers are leaping and gaining ground another foot 🤷‍♀️ marginal differences in reaction time that may have Merit
As long as we're looking into details keep in mind that softball pitchers release the ball about 18 inches behind the stride foot, so the distance they get off the rubber has to be adjusted for that. Baseball pitchers release the ball closer to the stride foot. Then we have the size of the ball. Obviously the larger the ball the easier it is for the perceptual system to get an accurate read on velocity and direction.

Apr 14, 2022
Example,
Playing Against pitcher Michelle Granger who was known to break 70 mph. When she was a teenager still throwing from 40 feet. Here is an example of reaction time before pitching got moved back to 43 ft. (Where we know batting averages grew.)

Look at this #'s from 40 feet fp.
View attachment 28929

Here is #'s at release point ⬇️
View attachment 28928
This is fpm not mph. I think that is 30 seconds.

Apr 14, 2022
🙂

. It is 3 tenths of a second.
From the ball leaving the pitchers hand to the plate.
3/10 of a second.

It is calculating the mile per hour
Ball moving 70 mph,
traveling feet per minute.

Consider a catcher's pop time
From time the catcher receiving the ball in their glove throwing it all the way to second base.
1.7 seconds.
(= 1 full second and 7 tenths of a second)

A batter out of the box running 60 ft to first base
3 seconds.
Or
A batter running all the way around the bases taking 12 seconds.

😉 there is no way a pitcher throwing the ball
70 mph 35 ft would take 30 seconds.
That would be one heck of a long game!
A ball traveling at 70 fpm would be 35 ft/70 fpm * 60 sec/1 min. Yields 30 seconds. 70 fpm at 40’ is 34 seconds. So it is in hours/minutes/seconds.
I was not saying a pitch would take but that is what the calc is saying because you need to change fpm to mph.
70 mph at 35’ is .34 seconds at 40’ is .39 seconds

May 13, 2023
A ball traveling at 70 fpm would be 35 ft/70 fpm * 60 sec/1 min. Yields 30 seconds. 70 fpm at 40’ is 34 seconds. So it is in hours/minutes/seconds.
I was not saying a pitch would take but that is what the calc is saying because you need to change fpm to mph.
70 mph at 35’ is .34 seconds at 40’ is .39 seconds
Thanks for paying attention 👍

🤷‍♀️Well this is what that calculator tool was showing with those measurements.
00:00
Screenshot_20231023-074000_Chrome.jpg

Here used a different one and came up with same as your math
Screenshot_20231023-081336_Chrome.jpg

... reminder to self stay away from math 🙄🥳

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles