Throwing Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I’m taking a stab in the dark here but I’m thinking that baseball and softball often get compared to each other on here (at least with which is more difficult to hit) because there have been a lot of social media posts and YouTube videos with females pitching a softball to guys and making them look silly. You typically don’t see as much with a female SB player trying to hit a baseball off of a college or MLB baseball player - although I can pretty much say with confidence that she’d look silly, as well.

Jul 11, 2023
I dunno if I should post it since it's full of foul language and individuals who are probably considered controversial.

But if you are so inclined, look up WatchMomentum on YouTube. They have some videos of softballers hitting baseball pitching, and vice versa.

May 13, 2023
SB player trying to hit a baseball off of a college or MLB baseball player - although I can pretty much say with confidence that she’d look silly, as well.

Hmmm? That assumption doesnt seem based on comparable timing references of pitch speeds.

The silliness of baseball players swinging and missing may not be because of comparable timing references in Pitch speeds rather...
Baseball players are not used to seeing underhand therefore they have an adjustment to looking at underhand mechanics. And Pitch trajectory

Remember softball players are already used to reading the ball coming from overhand. With that baseball has less trajectory angles to consider.
Aka- softball players eyes already have more training to accommodate.

Nothing fooled me facing baseball.
And I would imagine confidently that other softball players would experience the same thing I did.

With that
Any batter facing any pitching that the speed of which they were not used to would definitely take training and adjustment any batters either sport.

For instance
Men's fastpitch throwing 85 mph starting from 46', releasing at 40' would be faster/quicker than what MLB would be used to.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
My post wasn’t based on anything other than my opinion and how I’ve seen college and MLB pitchers make other baseball players of the same caliber look silly, never mind softball players who have never faced a baseball pitcher before. I’m not basing my opinion on reaction time. These are players who have grown up seeing baseball pitching.

Softball hitters are not used to seeing curves, sliders, sinkers, etc coming at them overhand. Fastball - yes, maybe, but not movement pitches. I really don’t believe that they could just step in the box and start crushing the ball, especially if the baseball player was throwing with the same speed equivalent to a 65-70 mph softball pitch.

Just my opinion, of course.

May 13, 2023
My post wasn’t based on anything other than my opinion
✔️ good to discuss things helps think things through!
Softball hitters are not used to seeing curves, sliders, sinkers, etc coming at them overhand.
Softball players watch overhand throwing. Throws Bend and curve and slice all sorts of ways, also there's following arm angle and path.
It does translate to following ball movement.

Bb players don't get to see underhand pitching so when they face it for the first times they're unfamiliar with it and its pitch trajectory.

Well....this has been a thorough discussion on an old topic revisited.
Good chat everybody!
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles