DD ordered to intentionally hit the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ggalante6

#1 Gabby fan
So many people talk about the "life lessons" of sports - hard work, commitment, team work, etc. The things that build charecter and help you become successful in life as an adult. Then we allow/instruct a player to intentionally hit/harm another player. Coaches like that have no place in this game and should either be spoken to or reported to the governing body.

My DD has hit her fair share of batters on accident and is clear about two things. #1 say you are sorry. #2 let it go so it doesn't affect your next pitch. She goes inside as a mater of course to gain the outside corner. Thats good game strategy and has nothing to do with the other team's antics or play. (The whole sticking up for a fellow player thing is a BS excuse to retaliate yourself so you feel relieved.)

When a coach/player has to resort to retaliation they are playing from a defensive (negative) position and have lost their mental edge. My instruction is to verbally call out any unsportsman like conduct to make it clear to everyone present you know what is going on, then bring your best A game to fight for the W. W's last longer and sting more.

Congratulate your DD for being a bigger person.

ian

Jun 11, 2015

As a coach I wouldnt tell my players during a game to plunk another player. I also wouldnt involve my players in hitting an umpire. After the game if the other team was very disrespectful I might ask my player "why the hell didnt you bean that mouthy player"lol.

As a coach you cant tell your players to intentionally hit a player all that does is put your own players at risk of getting plunked or tossed.

Oct 16, 2014
I'll start by saying I am NOT OK with intentionally hitting a batter. My DD has never been told to and has never done it on her own...but then she's only 10. I don't know how we'd deal with a coach asking her to do that and luckily neither of my kids have played for a coach that I could picture doing that.

Many 10U pitchers hit batters ALL THE TIME...and it's not intentional. Some 10 year olds just don't have great control. My DD was HBP in her foot in a game. It BROKE her foot. hairline fracture in the growth plate. It was her first at bat in her first game of a 4 day tournament. She was the 2nd string pitcher on that team and it ruined her ability to play for the rest of the week.

My other DD is on 12U and is one of the better hitters on her team. We were in one game where my DD was consistently getting hits off this one pitcher. And it was driving that coach crazy. My DD took a 48mph fastball in the ribs on her 3rd at bat. Shook it off and tried to take her base and collapsed half way to first. So yeah, intentional hitting is really uncool

I've sat through some games where I have witnessed some pretty un sportsman like behavior. and I wonder why does it need to be that way. What are those teams getting out of it. It ruins it IMO

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
DD has been hit intentionally on more than several occasions...usually after a HR. She did nothing to warrant it. She showed no disrespect in any way during her trip around the bases. This coach has done this to her in the past on more than several occasions since we seem to play his team on a somewhat regular basis. Last year when it happened the last time, she made a quick stop at the opposing teams dugout and told the coach that his ace pitcher (his DD) may end up with a broken pitching arm when her bat 'accidently' hits it on her way back to the dugout. The next 2 times we played them there was no issue even when DD took her yard twice in the championship game. I don't advocate that type of response in either case, by the pitcher nor by my DD, but that A-hole had it coming as far as I am concerned.

ETA: After a serious talk about that comment, the next time an intentional HBP was called by another team, DD knew it was coming, called time out and had a discussion with the PU. The very next pitch she was plunked and the pitcher and HC were removed from the rest of the tournament.

Also, let's not forget the response by the opposing teams pitchers. One team we were on several years ago, the pitcher took it into her own hands. After plunking my DD intentionally. she waited several innings then took the opposing pitcher out (slapper) by hitting her on her pitching arm shoulder, bruised the bone and she was out for several weeks. Again, I'm not advocating this type of response. However, just remember, what goes around can come around rather quickly and can do serious harm or injury to any player.

This got me thinking....

DD's team has played in 2 indoor tourneys this winter. They've played 1 team 5 times between those 2 tourneys. DD has pitched against and beat them 4 of the 5 times. In the last 3 games against them, she's been hit 4 times after not getting hit once the first 2 games. I wonder if there might be something to it...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This got me thinking....

DD's team has played in 2 indoor tourneys this winter. They've played 1 team 5 times between those 2 tourneys. DD has pitched against and beat them 4 of the 5 times. In the last 3 games against them, she's been hit 4 times after not getting hit once the first 2 games. I wonder if there might be something to it...

Depends on what sort of control those pitchers have. If they are losing that much, they might not have great control. They might be trying to pitch inside more, with the predictable results.

DD 3 has hit some girls with pitches, all unintentionally. One time in a 10U tournament, when she was really wild. the girls on the other team finally would just get as far back into the batter's box as possible and hope for balls rather than strikes.

If she did try to hit a girl intentionally, she might miss, or she might miss the wrong way and really hurt the girl. her control is much, much better now, but not good enough to hit precise spots with that sort of confidence.

Jun 18, 2013
I wonder if mine will be upset the first time she accidentally hits a batter. I really have no idea.

She will. The real question is how quickly and how well she recovers from it.

As to the question of throwing at a batter, it is ridiculous and uncalled for. Throw inside all you want, but never intentionally hit a player. If the other team is being disrespectful to you then win the game and show them how to act respectfully.

I do have a question for the coaches out there though. What is your opinion about calling for high and tight fastballs on known bunters? It is my normal strategy but it makes me nervous sometimes because I don't know how well the kids can get out of the way if one gets a little loose.

Feb 7, 2013
I do have a question for the coaches out there though. What is your opinion about calling for high and tight fastballs on known bunters? It is my normal strategy but it makes me nervous sometimes because I don't know how well the kids can get out of the way if one gets a little loose.

I think pitchers need to take control of the strike zone and pitching high and tight is one way to overcome players, especially bunters and slappers, from getting full plate coverage. Pitchers can't pitch in fear that they might hit a batter, it's an accidental part of the game. The intentional HBP to send a message to the other team is battery IMO...

Aug 8, 2010
I have never called a hit and will never call a hit, but the righteous indignation, moral outrage and spouting of absolutes is making my freaking head spin. Battery?

Jun 19, 2013
We will bump this thread in 6 years and all the 10U parents can give us an update if they are still so horrified. Maybe since I have an older son who is a baseball pitcher, and have followed baseball for many years, middle finger down isn't that foreign to us. I've always assumed by college or 18U or so it would come up.

We haven't played rec for 4 years where you go shake hands at first base when you plunk someone in the back, and even when it's accidental you know the pitcher may return the favor when you're up to bat. But my kids may just be all screwed up because when they came home from events with participation ribbons, and didn't understand why the losers got something too, they threw them out of their own accord, so I guess we are that crazy family.

Jun 7, 2013
On a case-by-case basis, one could convince that a particular player deserved a bean ball. However, that is not my style and I've never asked a pitcher to intentionally hit a batter. The worst that I got was in the state tournament last summer, my DD was pitching and keeping a really good team down. The first time up my DD was drilled in the thigh. The second time up, again, she was drilled in the thigh. And it did affect her ability to pitch, which I think was the intention. Since my DD in the entire lineup was the only one hit and hit twice, I had no doubt that this was on purpose. I gave my DD permission to pitch up and in with everything she has on it the next time that the pitcher came to the plate. I felt that it was necessary to send a message to the other team, the pitcher, and the coach. Perhaps this was the best outcome, she did not get that opportunity to face the pitcher again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi