DD ordered to intentionally hit the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
My daughter hasn't been through this yet, only in 14U. I know one of her pitching coaches shared her college experiences and it included retaliating for offences against her team mates and I felt it seemed fair at the time.

I wouldn't want a coach that made it a habit of asking her to do it, but I would stand behind her either way - if she chose to do it or not. If she was just turning into a mean pitcher and hitting girls any time she felt like it I would end her softball career real quick.

You might say the other side of the Golden Rule is an Eye for and Eye ;)

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Wow, some of you are really OK with intentionally hitting someone who is not expecting it with a rock hard projectile thrown at what could be a very high velocity from what is really not far away. I have no issue with throwing inside, brushing back and so on, but actually asking a player to go ahead and hit someone over a stupid game or disrespect or retaliation or whatever is not ok in my book (maybe it is because I didn't grow up with baseballs unwritten rules). I have seen my DD throw a pitch to let the other team KNOW she could hit them if she wanted to, but she would be at the end of a not-fun discussion if she went ahead and did it.

My DD has hit plenty of girls accidentally with inside pitches and just plain bad pitches and it doesn't bother her in the least even when she actually hurt someone. She didn't mean to and that is part of the game and she is good with that. But it would be devastating to her if she hurt someone because she meant to hit her.

I told my DD in 12U - if a coach asks you to hit a player, you are to put down the ball, go into the dugout and get your gear, because we are going home.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has been hit intentionally on more than several occasions...usually after a HR. She did nothing to warrant it. She showed no disrespect in any way during her trip around the bases. This coach has done this to her in the past on more than several occasions since we seem to play his team on a somewhat regular basis. Last year when it happened the last time, she made a quick stop at the opposing teams dugout and told the coach that his ace pitcher (his DD) may end up with a broken pitching arm when her bat 'accidently' hits it on her way back to the dugout. The next 2 times we played them there was no issue even when DD took her yard twice in the championship game. I don't advocate that type of response in either case, by the pitcher nor by my DD, but that A-hole had it coming as far as I am concerned.

ETA: After a serious talk about that comment, the next time an intentional HBP was called by another team, DD knew it was coming, called time out and had a discussion with the PU. The very next pitch she was plunked and the pitcher and HC were removed from the rest of the tournament.

Also, let's not forget the response by the opposing teams pitchers. One team we were on several years ago, the pitcher took it into her own hands. After plunking my DD intentionally. she waited several innings then took the opposing pitcher out (slapper) by hitting her on her pitching arm shoulder, bruised the bone and she was out for several weeks. Again, I'm not advocating this type of response. However, just remember, what goes around can come around rather quickly and can do serious harm or injury to any player.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Intentionally throwing at a defenseless batter is wrong and cannot think of a situation where a coach and player would be justified in doing that. It's wrong in MLB and its wrong in Fastpitch...end of story...

Dec 15, 2012
My daughter has never had a coach ask her to hit an opposing player. When choosing an organization or team to play for you need to evaluate type of coaches that will be working with your daughters. In my opinion you can tell a great deal simply from the actions of the coach (arguing, boisterous, how he treats his players, how he allows his players to act) these are the coaches that will often put you in situations where the game will escalate to batters being hit on purpose. I would rather loose 100 to 0 than look like a bunch of yahoos, but that's my opinion. Part of athletics is learning how to win and how to loose, but always making sure you play with 100% effort.

In my experience the younger age groups are where the most fireworks come into play. Crazy parents, coaches running up the scores on inferior teams, coaches arguing with umpires, all to win the flaming summer sizzler classic trophy. As the girls get older the players are working towards scholarships. At this point most of the riff raff is gone. The coaches and players are now under the watchful eyes of college coaches that want quality girls that play the game the right way.

Jun 12, 2015
I wonder if mine will be upset the first time she accidentally hits a batter. I really have no idea.

Feb 7, 2013
I wonder if mine will be upset the first time she accidentally hits a batter. I really have no idea.

If she hasn't hit a batter she isn't throwing inside enough :) My DD was always fine with it but would raise her hand up and say "sorry". That was 8U rec, now she doesn't say anything...

Jun 12, 2015
She's only pitched 4 games and a couple of scrimmages. It's bound to happen soon! Our coach really, really liked outside pitches so you're right about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi