Throwing Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Thanks for clearing that up. Previous didn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
it's weird how the 1st calculator wouldn't give an answer when I entered with miles per hour and the 2nd calculator did give a response. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

( actually did try with the first calculator before posting anything using miles per hour and no response from it that's why I switched to per foot. Then posted)

Glad it got cleared up!

Last edited:
May 17, 2023
While I agree 70 MPH happens more now, it's still rare. I came up with five or six from 2023 who throw 70+ with regularity. Fouts, Faraimo, Cagle, Canady, Gobourne. Of those five, three graduated this year. I'm sure I missed a few, but not many.

Yeah I don't think it is that rare now, I would venture to guess that number is closer to 10-20 who can routinely hit 70 in a game. By that I mean multiple pitches per inning hitting 70 not one per game.

I do also wonder how much TV speeds are inflated. Everyone on here assumes they are a lot, but I'm not as convinced.

I personally know a P5 pitcher who is pretty consistent 71-72 on pocket radar and the bullpen system they use. Have never seen anything more than that on SEC Network or ESPN games from her. If anything I would think her in-game pitches SHOULD be higher given the adrenaline.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah I don't think it is that rare now, I would venture to guess that number is closer to 10-20 who can routinely hit 70 in a game. By that I mean multiple pitches per inning hitting 70 not one per game.

I do also wonder how much TV speeds are inflated. Everyone on here assumes they are a lot, but I'm not as convinced.

I personally know a P5 pitcher who is pretty consistent 71-72 on pocket radar and the bullpen system they use. Have never seen anything more than that on SEC Network or ESPN games from her. If anything I would think her in-game pitches SHOULD be higher given the adrenaline.
You can think whatever you want. Even if it is 10-20, that's still extremely rare. I said I missed a few, but it's not as common as the ESPN gun crowd likes to believe. There are currently 286 D1 softball programs in the country, and if each team carries an average of 4.5 pitchers, that's 1,287 D1 pitchers. If you say 20 girls are hitting 70 with any regularity, that's only 1.55%.

Don't take my word for the guns being juiced.

May 17, 2023
You can think whatever you want. Even if it is 10-20, that's still extremely rare. I said I missed a few, but it's not as common as the ESPN gun crowd likes to believe. There are currently 286 D1 softball programs in the country, and if each team carries an average of 4.5 pitchers, that's 1,287 D1 pitchers. If you say 20 girls are hitting 70 with any regularity, that's only 1.55%.

Don't take my word for the guns being juiced.

Fair point and someone actually pitching knows better than either of us. But I also don't take an opinion (even a good one) on social media as absolute fact:ROFLMAO:. If the guns are juiced is it every game? And by how much? And who decides that and makes sure the accurate readings aren't shown?

Regardless, I do think in some ways softball is on the verge of a speed breakthrough generation. Not only the rule change few years ago, but the understanding of mechanics, strength training, technology, more athletic pitchers, etc are pushing game forward.

May 13, 2023
Wanted to say it is not like I was trying to check. Stuff like that just jumps out at me. Lol
👍🙂

Seriously before posting anything was weird when I was using the first calculator, had already used miles per hour and zero reading... was like what the heck 🤷‍♀️ that's when I put in the other measurement. And posted that 🙄

Not my intention to post incorrect stuff!
Knew it was within that .3 range.
do agree the full measurement is required for accuracy!

Good thing came out of it, found a calculator that works correctly!
Thanks for your help!

Jun 11, 2013
It doesn't matter if they are balls or strikes. The key is to hit the spots asked. You can throw a lot of strikes by just throwing it right down the middle. The key to good pitching is being able to set up hitters to get them out.

Jan 25, 2022
The problem here is they're referencing Lawrie with a 70 MPH fastball, which is pretty rare in softball. Despite what ESPN guns say, there aren't many girls throwing that hard. A 90 MPH fastball is what 9th and 10th grade boys throw. The MCWS finals had pitchers for both teams throwing in the mid to upper 90s with regularity.

Now take it up a notch to MLB. It's not uncommon to see 99+ in every game from at least one pitcher. The fastest pitch I ever faced in HS was probably 80-85, and it made me look foolish. I think when you take the averages into account, that reaction time is lower for baseball. I could be wrong, but I'd have to ask my engineering professor friend to do the math, but he's banned now...
Maybe someone mentioned this after your and RAD's comments, but I've always presumed this is why fastpitch bats are 10oz lighter. Compensates for reaction time for both women and men.

All things being equal otherwise, if I was just flat-out going to decide which is harder to hit, I would say it's a baseball. It's 3 inches smaller...and not yellow. And I presume it spins faster, being smaller and 1.5oz or so lighter.

May 13, 2023
Appreciate all of the discussion in this thread!

When comparing the two sports it is difficult to do because there are many things about the two sports that are different. Including equipment and obviously field size dimensions.

Just about every time can bring up a factor in one sport there is a reasonable factor in the other sport that may compensate to balance it out.

For instance
can bring up hitting a 3-inch ball with downward trajectory. But then in the other sport should bring up throwing a 12-inch ball with more trajectory angles 🤷‍♀️ is one harder to hit? is one harder to throw? imo They are different and the sports are different!

What I hope for is when people are comparing the two sports that they would at least compare a men's sport to a men's sport and incorporate men's fastpitch numbers to use in comparisons.

Truly believe that if there were more people who have actually watched What men's fastpitch is there would be a better rounded knowledge to offer perspective in comparison.

Compare the sports... okay 👍
( however imo it's awkward to read people wanting to compare men to women)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles