DD ordered to intentionally hit the batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Kudos to your DD, for now I would just let it go and be proud of your DD. I think the coach now knows not to ask again. It's pretty stupid to plunk someone right after a coaches conference anyway, nice way to get pitcher and coach tossed.

If it happens again or there are other repercussion I might rethink my position.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Your DD had the right to refuse. Im proud she did!

The next step in my humble opinion would have been to tell the coach you disagree and if he really wants it to happen hell need to change pitchers.

That would be a wakeup call to a good coach making a bad decision thus changing his mind. Now a dirty coach would tell her to "do it or else" and went thru the effort to sub her out showing you his true colors.

Your daughter did the right thing. She stood by what she believed is right!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD does not necessarily hit batters on purpose, but if you show disrespect she will show you the same respect when you step into the box. She is known for throwing inside and if you act the fool she will throw heat inside to the entire team. Not really trying to hit them but certainly will not lose any sleep if she does.

Nov 29, 2009
In all the years my DD pitched I witnessed the DD intentionally throw at a player one time in college. The opposing 1st baseman would slap the the runners in the head hard with her glove and the ball on throw downs to 1st when the runners dove back into the base. It was not once or twice. It was every time.

I asked the DD about it after the game. The DD and the catcher worked out a sequence knocking her down without hitting her 3 times during an at bat while they struck her out. The nonsense stopped after that. The funny thing. Not a sound came out of the opposing team's dugout, even after the third time the hitter had to dust herself off.

She never had a coach tell her to hit a batter on purpose. Although, she did hit her fair share unintentionally when she was younger. :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Respect is a matter of interpretation. If you feel as though you're being disrespected, you have a choice at that point. You can respect yourself, your family, your coaches, and your teammates.... Or you can't choose to sink to the level of the one person who you feel is disrespectful. But at what cost?
The golden rule is always found on the high road.

Dec 27, 2014
At 10u last year, DD was playing a particularly cranky team. Through the game a lot of little things that bordered on poor sportsmanship. Late in the game blue calls a K for the 3rd out of the inning. DD is pitching. We run off the field. The other team says it is only 2 outs. Both books are consulted but don't agree. After much, somewhat aggressive complaining Blue says ok, 2 outs. Our team takes the field again after this delay and DD hits their first batter up. Complete accident. But I could see the other team getting even more upset. Next batter k's and we are out of the inning, again. :eek:

Nov 16, 2015
As a coach i have never asked a pitcher to hit somebody. I have told pitchers to throw at a girls toes before. Hot hitter, locked it, just to try and get her to be not so comfortable in the box.

Playing College Baseball and Men's fastpitch at the highest level, hitting people is part of the game. I've been plunked multiple times. I've even told pitchers to try and hit me in the back side and stay away from heads. Being the best hitter on many teams, i often got thrown at. Somebody on my team did something stupid and i would get thrown at. As a pitcher i have thrown at hitters a few times as well. You have to stand up for a teammate. It deals a lot with the mental part of the game.

These are men's game comments and not 16u or below. Many reasons to get plunked. Stealing signs and getting caught, chirping too much, basic disrespect of the game or an opponent and you will probably get thrown at.

I was catching once and the team was notorious for stealing signs. They had a guy at 2nd and i set it up perfectly. 1st pitch was thrown and i made sure the guy at 2nd thought he had my signs. I call the 2nd pitch and runner at 2nd thinks its a change and signals it to batter. Little did he knew i called a rise ball high and tight. I liked the guy too much to throw at him, but he needed some attention. I caught the 2nd pitched, laughed and told the batter/runner. Nice try trying to steal my signs, but dont ever (expletive) do it again. We all laughed and had a beer together after the game.

I was pitching a college baseball game and the opposing team was really chirping, not positive cheering more taunting like. So i plunked the batter right in the backside. I stared at the dugout and told the batter to thank his teammates for that. Problem solved, didnt say anything stupid the rest of the game.

I could share a few more stories. Just remember this is men's league stuff and not youth sports.

I'm not sure how i would feel if a coach asked my daughter to throw at someone. College level i dont think i'd have a problem with it. youth stuff its not necessary

Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, I think an adult pitcher deciding to do something like that is very different from a coach telling a young girl to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi