Daughter wants a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Time to just look at local travel ball tryouts; if it looks like she isnt there yet or doesn't work out...rec ball will always be there next season

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Time to just look at local travel ball tryouts; if it looks like she isnt there yet or doesn't work out...rec ball will always be there next season

Be careful, we said the same thing 2 years ago. "Let's just go to a tryout and see what happens. We can always play Fall Ball." Here we are 2 years later finishing up our 2nd year of travel ball. Life hasn't been the same since. Most likely yours will be like mine and grow like crazy in a more competitive environment. Travel isn't for everyone, but if it's right for your DD, hold on tight. It's a crazy ride. Enjoy and good luck.

BTW, be nice and polite, but don't apologize for the position the coach put you in.

Apr 26, 2019
Hey y'all.

My daughter decided she wanted to tryout for travel ball. She tried out for 3 teams and got 3 offers. We signed with her ( and her parents') favorite choice last night.

It's a great run organization, and they seemed to really like her. When they asked if anyone could pitch she stepped up and said "I can." They had her pitching for about 25 minutes, other girls got 5-10 during that day of tryouts. When they were finished the coach that was working with the pitchers approached me and told me how impressed they were with her pitching. (Yes I'm a bit happy for her.)

In any case, thank you all for your comments and advice. I appreciate it.

May 6, 2015
someone needs to adapt "I wanna new drug" (I know, dating myself) to travel softball teams

the "one that doesn't cost to much" line can stand just like it is.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
That's pretty much the qualifier I use/advise when parents question if it's time to move up. When a girl can state things like "I want them to catch the ball when I throw it to them" or "I wish they loved the game as much as I do" they are telling you they're ready to move up.
In our second and last year of rec ball, the HC told my DD that she needed to slow her pitch down because none of the other girls can catch her pitches. When I said, do NOT listen to your HC because it ruins your mechanics, the HC didn't have her pitch anymore and hid her talent on 1st or center. So naturally, we left.

May 6, 2015
someone needs to adapt "I wanna new drug" (I know, dating myself) to travel softball teams

the "one that doesn't cost to much" line can stand just like it is.
this about sums it all up

I wanna new team
One that wont make me ever sit
One that wont make me drive too far
or make me wanna quit

I wanna new team
One where the coach don’t yell
One that wont make me try to hard
or make me get outta bed

One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do
One that gets me money
To cover all the bills
When I go away to school

I wanna new team
One that wont lose
One that don't cost too much
Or always collects their dues

I wanna new team
One where I can stay up all night
One that will let me sleep all day

Wondering what to do
One that gets me money
to cover all the bills
When I go off to school

Apr 26, 2019
this about sums it all up

I wanna new team
One that wont make me ever sit
One that wont make me drive too far
or make me wanna quit

I wanna new team
One where the coach don’t yell
One that wont make me try to hard
or make me get outta bed

Wondering what to do
One that gets me money
To cover all the bills
When I go away to school

I wanna new team
One that wont lose
One that don't cost too much
Or always collects their dues

I wanna new team
One where I can stay up all night
One that will let me sleep all day

Wondering what to do
One that gets me money
to cover all the bills
When I go off to school

Excellent work! Maybe this should be your second career, song writing! :)

As for everyone who helped with my original post. Thanks! Daughter loves her team, and is playing well, developing well and the girls are great with each other.

For everyone who said her old rec coach will be cool and understand. I saw her recently and she was less than friendly. 😆 Oh well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi