Daughter wants a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
It's rec. First off, I'm not sure about your league's rules, but you don't get to dictate which team she's on. Also, isn't the season over?

But yeah, if the rest of the rec league is like this, sounds like your daugther may be interested in travel ball.

Apr 26, 2019
It's rec. First off, I'm not sure about your league's rules, but you don't get to dictate which team she's on. Also, isn't the season over?

But yeah, if the rest of the rec league is like this, sounds like your daugther may be interested in travel ball.
The season is over. Fall ball practice starts in August. You don't get to dictate but you can "request" certain coaches. Those coaches seem to be able to choose the players that request them.

And yes, it is rec. Not sure what your point was in saying that? Because it's rec am I not allowed to ask a question? Is it not worth worrying about in your opinion? There are teams in our rec league that certainly take things more seriously than others. If my daughter doesn't want to be on a rec team with a number of girls that would rather draw pictures in the dirt I'll try and help facilitate her move.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I think Seth was simply saying you don't get as much control over who your DD plays for in rec, and your DD might be happier in travel ball.

Of course you should be concerned about what team your daughter plays on and who the coaches are but with rec there is a bit less control and often the coaches are not as professional as those you might find in TB.

Apr 26, 2019
I think Seth was simply saying you don't get as much control over who your DD plays for in rec, and your DD might be happier in travel ball.

Of course you should be concerned about what team your daughter plays on and who the coaches are but with rec there is a bit less control and often the coaches are not as professional as those you might find in TB.
You may be correct. Some people aren't good communicators.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
You may be correct. Some people aren't good communicators.

It was pretty confusing when you said she's thinking of leaving the team - it made it sound like she was still on a team or in season. Now you're saying the season is over.

So I'm not sure what the issue is? All rec leagues are different, sure, but I'm going off the assumption that each season has a draft, and your daugther will be re-drafted, so how do you know what team she'll be on for the next season?

In no way was I acting like rec doesn't matter. My DD plays rec.

The issue I think is based on your daughter's play and desire, is this rec league not going to provide her what she wants, regardless of what coach she ends up with? Unfortunately, that part is hard to control (and it should be - it should be a try out and draft, and parents should not get to make requests).

Apr 26, 2019
It was pretty confusing when you said she's thinking of leaving the team - it made it sound like she was still on a team or in season. Now you're saying the season is over.

So I'm not sure what the issue is? All rec leagues are different, sure, but I'm going off the assumption that each season has a draft, and your daugther will be re-drafted, so how do you know what team she'll be on for the next season?

In no way was I acting like rec doesn't matter. My DD plays rec.

The issue I think is based on your daughter's play and desire, is this rec league not going to provide her what she wants, regardless of what coach she ends up with? Unfortunately, that part is hard to control (and it should be - it should be a try out and draft, and parents should not get to make requests).
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, pal. I could have done a better job explaining the league and how it works.

My apologies.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks. I'll talk to her about it. She may well want to go that route. I know she's ready for a change and wants teammates who are at least interested in being there.

That's pretty much the qualifier I use/advise when parents question if it's time to move up. When a girl can state things like "I want them to catch the ball when I throw it to them" or "I wish they loved the game as much as I do" they are telling you they're ready to move up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06