Coronavirus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2016
@pattar
Basically you are in agreement with what I posted.
Still the jerk in you needed to question my post. Saying the same thing.
What I am not understanding is what was the point of your initial post? We need more testing? Everyone should just go on with their lives as usual because the models are not perfect? Forget about science and math and make decisions based upon which way our piss blows when we take a leak outside?

The models are one tool in a toolbox which one can use to make decisions. If you don't like math and just wanted to say that then that is fine too I guess. I didn't post it to piss anybody off...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Chill out people - no need to be keyboard warriors on here. For those who still don't believe that this virus has the potential to be devastating please do some more research, keep an open mind (don't stay stuck in all of your previous beliefs and biases) and get ready to do the right thing rather than trying to prove how smart or strong you are.

Mar 10, 2020
What I am not understanding is what was the point of your initial post? We need more testing? Everyone should just go on with their lives as usual because the models are not perfect? Forget about science and math and make decisions based upon which way our piss blows when we take a leak outside?

The models are one tool in a toolbox which one can use to make decisions. If you don't like math and just wanted to say that then that is fine too I guess. I didn't post it to piss anybody off...
Those are not my words.
Not neccessary to address further.

Dec 11, 2010
I think a lot of the “it’s the same as the flu” are coming around. They are realizing they may have been wrong.

One I saw today must have been to a health department briefing and must have had the hell scared out of him.

Of course, when you make the move from getting your news on Facebook to getting it from scientists, that can be a bit of an “aha moment”.

The stuff coming out of Italy is shocking. Lots of graphs here:

Heres one:9E756B84-96C8-4B84-800F-52BA11C30717.jpeg
350 deaths per day?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Then this..... 20% of doctors?
View attachment 16704
I don’t think this is the flu folks.

No its not the flu, but if you look at the same website, which is pretty neat site: it says concerning the flu for just today so far:

691 Seasonal flu deaths today
Quick facts:
  • Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.
  • This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

Sources and info:

Which is why I stated, why the panic and hysteria all of a sudden?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sources and info:

Which is why I stated, why the panic and hysteria all of a sudden?

Perhaps you should think about those numbers a little differently.

a) About 50% of the people in the US get vaccinated for the flu every year. This creates something like a herd immunity.
b) We have drugs, like Tamiflu, which can kill the flu virus. So, if someone develops viral pneumonia from the flu, there is a reasonable chance he won't die.
c) we have 100 years history of managing the flu.
d) Nevertheless, 50,000 to 60,000 people in the US die of the flu each year.

How many people would die of the flu if we didn't have flu vaccines or drugs like Tamiflu?

That is where we are with COVID-19.

Nov 4, 2015
A ton of hysteria out there right now. I do know that when I walk outside and see the sun shinning on an 82 degree day and smell the bleach as I walk back into the office, I feel better. I'm confident my kids, wife, and myself will make it through this as we made it through Y2K, 9/11, swine flu, and the Great Recession. I'm not a "it's just the flu" kind of person, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the measures being taken. Every life is valuable and would never want any doctors in the position to say who gets medical attention and who doesn't. But we cannot shut down everyday life. Self quarantine the elderly and those that are sick, but we need to keep businesses running. 12000 people died from Swine flu in 2009 and we almost didn't hear about it compared to trying to lock down the county now. I know it is being done for the fear of the unknown with this virus, but we get into cars and on planes and are not certain we will make it to our destination. Off the soap box now. Watched the first episode of "Game Ready" on youtube last night and it was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13