This pitching motion legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
There is a big difference between the wrist being 1/4-1/2" out further as compared to the wrist sticking straight out from body. She isn't even remotely close to being legal and how she has gotten to this age pitching like that is beyond me.

May 18, 2019
There is a big difference between the wrist being 1/4-1/2" out further as compared to the wrist sticking straight out from body. She isn't even remotely close to being legal and how she has gotten to this age pitching like that is beyond me.
I could be wrong as I'm not a pitcher but it just looks like a lot more than a fraction of an inch to me. I'm wondering if many violate a strict interpretation of that rule and it's a matter of degrees. Seems like a curveball would be particularly difficult on strict interpretation.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.png
    IMG_3307.png
    764.2 KB · Views: 24
Feb 6, 2020
I know a guy that is in the hierarchy of USSSA. He would like to know what the name of this tournament was and where so that he can contact them to discuss this. If you dont want to post it publicly, please message it to me, he would like to address this as it is a completely illegal pitching motion in every ruleset.
I sent a message with the info. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Feb 6, 2020
I could be wrong as I'm not a pitcher but it just looks like a lot more than a fraction of an inch to me. I'm wondering if many violate a strict interpretation of that rule and it's a matter of degrees. Seems like a curveball would be particularly difficult on strict interpretation.
Did you watch the video or just see the screen capture? The difference between them is huge when watching the videos. Also, I think you need to look at the release, not the point leading up to it. I think this is from the same video that your pic came from.

Pitching release.png

Mar 29, 2023
Original question aside, was she actually throwing well like that? It looks like the ball comes out awkward and she looks uncomfortable.

Aug 1, 2019
MN

Saw this over the weekend and was surprised to be told that the umps said it was fine. This was in USSSA and an 18u team. I really didn't care but was surprised it was said to be ok and looks like an injury waiting to happen to me.
...And was she throwing every pitch like this or as an occasional different look?
She glanced at her wristband pre-pitch, so I wonder if some of the boxes are filled in with "SA"

Jul 27, 2021

Saw this over the weekend and was surprised to be told that the umps said it was fine. This was in USSSA and an 18u team. I really didn't care but was surprised it was said to be ok and looks like an injury waiting to happen to me.
Umps winning hearts and minds once again.
Time for BAD UMPS to go away.
No Umps for a game = Inconveinent
Bad Umps = Damage to the game, players,coaches, parents, hopes, dreams, FAIRNESS

May 17, 2012
Bad Umps = Damage to the game, players,coaches, parents, hopes, dreams, FAIRNESS

I mean on a scale of 1 to 10 with a 10 being a travesty to the game this is like a 2.

I think the video stands out as it's rare to see someone actually throw sidearm. When I see something like this I just think of how much better she could have been if taught properly.

Feb 6, 2020
Original question aside, was she actually throwing well like that? It looks like the ball comes out awkward and she looks uncomfortable.
She didn't throw very hard but was having success. Several were pulling off the ball and hitting off the end of the bat with some missing altogether. As you'd expect, none of them have probably batted against a side arm pitcher before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles