This pitching motion legal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
I watched about 10 minutes of slo mo and while the black on black makes it hard to see, I don't think so. If the elbow is touching the body and the wrist is touching the body, the rest of the forearm seems like it would have to be touching as well which would kill the whip. I think it's close but there is angle and that wrist is further from the body than the elbow.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.png
    IMG_3358.png
    871.7 KB · Views: 25
May 18, 2019
Thank you Ken B! This really helps see it better. Depends on the pitcher but many of these images help me see how it's possible in a way I couldn't before.

Apr 28, 2015
I was on bases for a game where pitcher pitched like this. I talked to my partner about it but he wasn’t aware of that rule so wouldn’t call it. I wasn’t in a position to see it enough to call it. After the game I told the coach that it was illegal and if I was behind the plate, I would call it. (We were switching and they were staying). The coach was her dad and said “how is she supposed to throw a curve then?” I just said “coach I’m an umpire, not a pitching coach. I just enforce the rules.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area

Saw this over the weekend and was surprised to be told that the umps said it was fine. This was in USSSA and an 18u team. I really didn't care but was surprised it was said to be ok and looks like an injury waiting to happen to me.

BY RULE this is an obvious IP, wrist is obviously waaaay outside the elbow ... its practically sidearm. Umpire has to have the guts to call it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles