Scheduling Etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Very curious to hear what others think (I think my opinion may be out of touch)...

High school game scheduled for tomorrow. Game time temperatures expected in the 30s with 10mph winds. Visiting team is not interested in playing due to the conditions. They were offered Tuesday which is available for both teams and the weather is expected to be much better, however, visiting team is not interested in Tuesday either.

So my question is how accommodating do you need to be for the other team?

There's no rule or guideline that I am aware of by the state's high school athletic association that mandates cold weather conditions.

Jun 18, 2023
Very curious to hear what others think (I think my opinion may be out of touch)...

High school game scheduled for tomorrow. Game time temperatures expected in the 30s with 10mph winds. Visiting team is not interested in playing due to the conditions. They were offered Tuesday which is available for both teams and the weather is expected to be much better, however, visiting team is not interested in Tuesday either.

So my question is how accommodating do you need to be for the other team?

There's no rule or guideline that I am aware of by the state's high school athletic association that mandates cold weather conditions.

imo the whole point is to play softball, and windy frigid temperatures is miserable, so I think reasonable accommodations should be made to find a workable date, but given a couple of options (probably more than 1) it becomes either a "pick a date or forfeit" situation.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
imo the whole point is to play softball, and windy frigid temperatures is miserable, so I think reasonable accommodations should be made to find a workable date, but given a couple of options (probably more than 1) it becomes either a "pick a date or forfeit" situation.
If a team doesn't play due to the weather and the home team agrees, if they don't reschedule, it is not a forfeit. It seems that in this situation, the home team can decide to play the game.

BTW, @CoachCeetar how do you know that the visiting team is available? For our school, there are various activities that might be scheduled where we are not to play a game. There might be some activity in school that takes a lot of athletes out of school a particular day and so teams do not play. For example, our school takes a field trip to the Holocaust Museum in St. Louis each year. On that day, and due to traffic etc. there is no way a game could be played. Most of the time, our school takes 4 or 5 buses. My point is that when it looks like a team is open, there are times when they are not.

Jun 18, 2023
If a team doesn't play due to the weather and the home team agrees, if they don't reschedule, it is not a forfeit. It seems that in this situation, the home team can decide to play the game.

BTW, @CoachCeetar how do you know that the visiting team is available? For our school, there are various activities that might be scheduled where we are not to play a game. There might be some activity in school that takes a lot of athletes out of school a particular day and so teams do not play. For example, our school takes a field trip to the Holocaust Museum in St. Louis each year. On that day, and due to traffic etc. there is no way a game could be played. Most of the time, our school takes 4 or 5 buses. My point is that when it looks like a team is open, there are times when they are not.

right right, but I'd be hesitant to cancel a game without a rescheduling plan. Schools are busy, absolutely! good faith effort to reschedule, find a couple of dates that should work and if they don't work and can't come up with a plan, you don't reschedule and they either show up to the cold game or forfeit. Scheduling is so tough, as much as it sucks to play in crappy cold conditions...sometimes you just gotta do it.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
If they're too difficult to work with, you have something to consider when creating subsequent years' schedules. Hopefully you have other schools you can build a relationship with.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
right right, but I'd be hesitant to cancel a game without a rescheduling plan. Schools are busy, absolutely! good faith effort to reschedule, find a couple of dates that should work and if they don't work and can't come up with a plan, you don't reschedule and they either show up to the cold game or forfeit. Scheduling is so tough, as much as it sucks to play in crappy cold conditions...sometimes you just gotta do it.
I agree. We do our best to play every game we schedule. Often the problem is that some schools will only make the game up if they think that they have a chance to win. In baseball one year, I had a way better-than-average team. I could put 3 pitchers on the mound that really got it up there and had some major D-I recruits. I don't think any team made a game up with us. In our area, we have an agreement that if the temp is below 40 degrees, we don't play in either baseball or softball. That was done by the ADs who were worried about parents getting upset due to the price of bats.

Nov 9, 2021
Interesting topic. I try and reschedule when possible. I want to play as many games as possible. I might lose a game this week with a really bad forecast on Friday. Looking at my remaining schedule there isn’t a great time to make it up. One or two dates might be off days for both teams but it would give me 4 tough games in a week. That isn’t ideal with one main pitcher and one back up. I might lean towards not making up that game if we can’t play it this week. Lot of factors could be involved in why a team does or doesn’t want to make a game up at certain times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles