Cold weather and bats question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Louisville, Easton,.... all have temp limits they recommend when using bat. I do not abide by these guidelines and have not had problems with any composite bat. i'm sure they put them in to put liability on the user and off the manufacturer.

We played a lot of ball when I was younger, the big thing was to microwave the softball. Some would spritz it with water or alcohol first but it would harden the core and make the leather very tight. This was back in the day when cu31 bats were the hot new thing. Yes it was illegal and really didn't provide much advantage because in C leagues you were limited on hr's but some guys just like spending 5 bucks a ball to lose in a creek.

Apr 1, 2010
I have seen several bats break, and in particular, one brand that I won't mention. All of them were two-piece and too light to be bats, so I would not put an age of player to it. I would say it has to do with (1) products that should not be made (-XX is too light), and (2) heavy game schedules, not the weather.

I've also seen a lot of two-pieces break and I agree that the higher drop bats are weaker. However, DD has broken three one-piece bats, all -10 or -9. I can put one break to being used in the cold and the last one was while hitting TCB balls. I'm not sure what caused the other. Just too much hitting or a combination of issues maybe...

One thing we are now doing: we no longer leave her bat bag in the garage during the winter. It comes inside so that her bats stay at a warmer temp.

Feb 12, 2014
One thing we are now doing: we no longer leave her bat bag in the garage during the winter. It comes inside so that her bats stay at a warmer temp.

This is great advice to everyone living in the colder regions !!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I am glad to see some people realize that the reason for damage to bats in cold weather is mostly the ball being VERY cold and it basically changes its regular compression rating.

But with that said, the reason manufacturers tell you to not use below 60 degrees is for THEIR benefit. If people only used bats in nice warm temps, returns would be cut down...hence, save money for them.
That 55/60 degree thing they tell you is so bogus.
Did you buy the bat to use it or baby it so that the manufacturer profits?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
I am glad to see some people realize that the reason for damage to bats in cold weather is mostly the ball being VERY cold and it basically changes its regular compression rating.

But with that said, the reason manufacturers tell you to not use below 60 degrees is for THEIR benefit. If people only used bats in nice warm temps, returns would be cut down...hence, save money for them.

^^^Straight shootin', and appreciated Core.

Dec 11, 2010

Damn the torpedoes! If I shell out that kind of cash for a bat, she is using it in games when it matters no matter what the weather. DD broke one this year and it is because she is a BEAST, not because of the thermometer! ; )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00