Frustration with composite bats - material inside breaks apart far too soon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2019
I tried to search the forum for an existing thread on this but couldn't find one. So figured I'd start this one.

I'm sure I'm not alone in frustration with today's composite bats. My daughter is only 14 and I'm already losing count on how many bats we've gone through over the last few years due to the composite material breaking down inside ...way too early in my opinion. All within a year. The most recent Ghost bat happened within 3 months! She's only recently started having much power in her swing. So it's not because she has some crazy bat speed/impact. She's not putting 1000's of swings on each bat (she swings a lot through the year, but not that much). I don't leave them out in the cold. I don't let her hit balls left out in the cold. I don't let her hit the ground with them, etc. Seriously ...we're very careful. And yet, no matter what we do and no matter the brand (DeMarini, Easton, Louisville), same problem.

My cynical side tells me it's the manufacturers doing this simply to make money. Get people to buy more overpriced bats more often.

Having said all of this, does anyone have consistent, positive experience with certain brands or bats? I have to get her another bat and it would be nice if it could get her through a full season!

May 3, 2019
Thanks. My daughter had a Xeno 4 years ago. She and 2 other girls on her team all had the same problem ...composite material break-down. Maybe they've improved them or it was an off-year?

May 3, 2019
Yes, that is what I am referring to. Most coaches (including hitting coaches) say that means the bat is "broken." Also, I've been to a couple tournaments in which umpires will check for that and not allow the bat to be used.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Not really sure whats going on with your bats but I have many bats that have lasted a few years or more. I’ll agree that as time has gone on, certain bats do seem to break faster but its a trade-off really. People want bats to have a higher performance than the previous model and in order to do that, they have to make the bats thinner.

All composite bats have the possibility to break since its a thinner material. I will say that Ive never seen Demarini and Louisville bats break anywhere near the rate at which the other big company breaks. But they also dont have the hottest bat on the market either.

Sep 8, 2015
Rattles do not always mean they are broken. Often times it’s nothing more than excess epoxy that was used when securing the handle/cap. Once you take some swings, the excess epoxy breaks away and starts to rattle. I would not give up a bat b/c of a rattle.

We swing them till they are visually cracked (not paint) or break at the handle. Never been impacted by a few rattles.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Louisville Slugger has treated DD well...Xenos and LXTs. Never a problem with Demarini, either. Some bought new, some used, thousands of swings, and never a failure. In fact, I've sold all the ones she's grown out of on Ebay for decent money.

Don't use a composite bat to hit off a machine, especially with the harder machine "dimple" balls. It will wear the bat out quickly. Further, don't tolerate DD or anyone else hitting anything but a softball; girls tear bats up by banging them on metal cleats.

Helping run a large summer tournament where there were regular bat inspections, the brand/model of the most DQ'd bats I saw was the Easton Ghost. Many had developed very bad wobbles at the joints...easily noticeable. Some parents were really indignant about an umpire removing a bat until I held the bat by the handle and shook it for them. Amazing how many don't pay attention to their kid's gear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812