Cold weather and bats question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Don't get me wrong, swinging a bat in 20 degree weather has damage possibilities. You have a ball that has went up a hundred in compression, and a cold azz bat that fibers aren't going to flex as well.

But I would have no issues using a bat in the 40's and do it all the time and I can make a bat compress pretty well.

Dec 29, 2010
^^^Straight shootin', and appreciated Core.

QUESTION: Why do aluminum bats dent easier in cold weather?

ANSWER: Remember the old adage "Don’t keep bananas in the refrigerator". Well, we need to adopt an adage in softball: Don’t keep softballs anywhere that’s below 70° F (at least until you’re ready to play with them).

It’s now common knowledge that modern day aluminum bats tend to dent more readily when temperatures are low. However, there remains a great misconception that this is caused by the bat becoming weaker at lower temperatures. FALSE! The strength of modern day aluminum alloys used in bats is very stable over an extremely wide range of temperatures (well below 0° F). Then, what’s the deal? The deal is that ball hardness increases as temperature decreases. In fact, tests show that for every 1° F reduction in temperature below 72° F, the ball compression (hardness) increases 5 lbs. For example, a ball with compression of 500 lbs at 72° F would have a compression of 600 lbs at 52°.

So, when we bat manufacturers caution against using our bats below certain temperatures, we are giving the incorrect impression that something about the bat is changing as temperature goes down. The message should be: "Don’t use this bat with softballs which have been stored below 72° F prior to the game." As you can imagine, if softballs were left in the trunk of a car overnight, and the temperature dropped to 40° F, the ball hardness the next morning would be greatly increased. Since it takes quite awhile for the balls to warm up, even if the morning temperature rose to 60° F, the balls would be substantially harder than if they had been stored overnight in a heated space (72° F).

So, the rule of thumb is: Keep the ball temperature up and watch the bat denting go down.

This was from slowpitch, its not the bat its the friggin ball.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I am glad to see some people realize that the reason for damage to bats in cold weather is mostly the ball being VERY cold and it basically changes its regular compression rating.

But with that said, the reason manufacturers tell you to not use below 60 degrees is for THEIR benefit. If people only used bats in nice warm temps, returns would be cut down...hence, save money for them.
That 55/60 degree thing they tell you is so bogus.
Did you buy the bat to use it or baby it so that the manufacturer profits?

Thanks for the comment. Since I respect your opinion above all others I will stop looking for a "cold weather" bat and let DD swing away with her Xeno!!!

Dec 29, 2010
I know some board bros from another site there that play with 47/525. (PA) Crazy! Especially in the fall when the temp drops. Yellow spheres of death coming at you.

Nov 18, 2013
The cold weather had had major effects on a couple of DD’s Xeno’s. When they got cold the internal components would constrict causing play. When they warmed up they returned to normal. I’m not sure about her current model, but the previous three all did.

In the winter months we play in covered domes that are often very minimally heated. Bat’s and bags come in, but balls are often left in the car overnight and get VERY cold. I don’t see an increase in bats breaking, but the difference in performance is definitely there. I know the science says it’s the ball and not the bat, but what I’ve noticed in dome ball is the good hitters still smash the ball while the more average ones struggle to get it out of the infield. I don’t doubt that the major effect is on the ball, but I can’t help but think it affects the sweet spot of bats as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00