Best softball story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Beating a NC HS powerhouse on their senior night. They were 19-0 until that night... It was awfully quiet when we left.
91a054e61e76269ad4395b4138de2a6c.jpg

They turned the score board of quick that night!!

If your from NC you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very familiar with NC ;), nothing like hearing crickets, or the other HC screaming during their meeting as you’re leaving THEIR field!

Feb 25, 2020
DD'S only played 1 season so this is all I got so far.

She played on her rec leagues allstar team which participated in the Dixie tournament thing here in NC. It was 8U coach pitch which I thought was pretty funny(a little much), but it was a fun few weeks for the kids.

Anyways, they are playing games in Wilmington, and my older brother lives near by, so him and his wife and toddler daughter come out in the 95 degree heat, so he already is pretty grumpy. We were sitting behind the fence in the outfield watching warmups and he makes a few comments about how lame it is. The girls cant throw, or catch or hit blah blah blah.

Well the game starts, our team is in the field first, my dd is at ss and she gets a decently hit ball. She is pretty deep at shortstop(for this age) and she bobbles it pretty good, reaches down and grabs it. As shes standing up everyone(including me) is yelling "HOLD IT". She pops up and fires a strike over to first base, about head high the whole way. Bang bang play at first. Runner is out.

I smiled and looked at my brother and said somethin like "oh they cant throw huh?"

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
One of my most memorable stories doesn’t involve a player or coach…
A well-known and highly-regarded umpire was working behind the plate on a remote field with no nearby facility except a port-a-potty way out past the left field fence. Between innings we noticed him hurrying out to the port-a-potty. After about 10 minutes he emerged back to applause from everyone on and around the field. In true umpire fashion the field umpire yelled “Did he go?!” as if he was the home plate umpire asking for help on a check swing. Without missing a beat, the umpire returning from the port-a-potty immediately signaled an emphatic strike with his right arm and yelled “He went!”.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
I just remembered one more that can be chalked up to "what is going on in that player's mind?"

The HC and I noticed some of our 18U players were only taking 3 and 4 step leads off 1st base on catchable fly balls to left and center field. So, the next practice, we had every player practice taking leads most of the way to 2nd base to teach them they could still safely make it back to 1st and beat a long throw from left or center. Two days later I'm coaching 1st base with a runner on first and 1 out. Batter hits a fly ball deep to the centerfielder and I'm yelling at the runner on first to get a big lead like we practiced. Instead, she stood on first, tagged up, and tried to steal second. She was out by two steps - end of inning. In the dugout I calmly asked her why she tagged up. Her response was just as calm... "I thought I was on third base". 🥴

Aug 25, 2019
Just saw it on a middle school game I umpired this week. I was on the plate and a girl cracked a bomb over centerfielder head, no fence. She's running as hard as she can and I saw her coming down the 3rd base line with the biggest smile I ever saw a player have. It was her first ever homer, and she was crying in the dugout she was so happy. I had a big smile, I was happy for her too. That's what the game is all about.

Mar 28, 2020
my daughter's senior year she guest played for team of friends that were awful..

Since she was signed she wanted to play with friends

in one of the games she scores and the parents go wild. Come to find out it was their 1st score in a tournament that year.

Boy did they party like it was 1999.....you would think they won the tournament. Lost every game scored only one point......ended with a pool party and a good time.....a bunch of seniors acting like they were 10U

It was soooooooo much fun. That was 10 years ago and of all the games and accomplishments she had her senior year that is the one I love talking about......She smiles every time we reminisce about her Senior year.

Nov 18, 2013
Listened to a pitchers Dad complaining about the catcher making his DD give up too many HR’s. Just one of a long line in blaming any and everything except his DD.

Jul 5, 2016
my daughter's senior year she guest played for team of friends that were awful..

Since she was signed she wanted to play with friends

in one of the games she scores and the parents go wild. Come to find out it was their 1st score in a tournament that year.

Boy did they party like it was 1999.....you would think they won the tournament. Lost every game scored only one point......ended with a pool party and a good time.....a bunch of seniors acting like they were 10U

It was soooooooo much fun. That was 10 years ago and of all the games and accomplishments she had her senior year that is the one I love talking about......She smiles every time we reminisce about her Senior year.

A good reminder that this is all that matters when the dust has settled.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Cliff Notes Version:
-DD was having a rough day at SS, back on her heels the whole game.
-Eventually after an error I yelled out from behind LF fence to get off your heels.
-Since she a) was 9 b) had just made an error and c) was already mad at herself, this made her cry (I am an idiot)
-Young lady umpire at this point turns around and stares at me (she was correct to do this since I was an idiot)
-Since I am mad I yell to her "What are you looking at, I am not that good looking"
-Umpire then kicks me out, but I am already 2 feet from the parking lot so I walk 2 feet and ask if that is ok?
-She then kicks me out of the complex.
-I proceed to chuck my water at the fence but miss and it goes onto the field.
-As I am walking back to my hotel (which was about 7 miles away..that was quite a walk) cop stops me and tells me they called the cops on me for trying to hit the lady with a water bottle (note this was a gallon water bottle, I was behind the fence
and the umpire was standing at SS
-Eventually I was let go but couldn't go to any more games

Moral to the story, I was an idiot.
Should have went back to the fence. Umpire doesn't have that authority. I know. I'm an Umpire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott