Best Non Softball Sport for Softball Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD is a workout queen; quite a few of her teammates did weightlifting because it is an easy HS sport to do in the opposite season to softball and they were in the weight room anyway.

Jun 8, 2016
I have a feeling track is going to be a popular answer so maybe an event would be helpful. Also, I have to agree with her that track is a sport. Running is hard enough but when you bring in hurdles. Plus you got all the field events. I once tried pole vaulting. I was out there for one day and they told me I could go back to weight room.
I was trying to be funny..it backfired. She ran hurdles..I would have killed myself if I tried to do that. In terms of what event, it sounds like your kid is a strong kid but maybe not so fast so maybe some throwing events (shot putt, etc) ?? Or you could have her run if you want to actually try and improve her speed.

Nov 18, 2015
Soccer. We have a former travel soccer player (12U). She's definitely not on the small size, but continues to surprise us at times with a quickness to the ball, which I attribute to good footwork learned while playing that other game.

Jun 19, 2016
Baseball........(kidding).

I know 2 girls who started (and are crushing) cross-country, and 1 who picked up lacrosse easily.
My DD's softball organization has some younger baseball teams. My son plays on one of them. It seems like they are always playing these great big teams. They somehow use these grade level exemptions...not sure how they work. We have been saying we need to take a team full of girls out there and teach them a lesson.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Any particular event?

Anything that involves running fast...sprints or relays, or even a long jump. All of that builds the lower-body power and stamina that would help a ball player. I don't know a softball coach who doesn't appreciate the potential of a successful track athlete.

Soccer. We have a former travel soccer player (12U). She's definitely not on the small size, but continues to surprise us at times with a quickness to the ball, which I attribute to good footwork learned while playing that other game.

That would work as well...perhaps better. It builds stamina and quickness while not requiring a huge investment of time to learn / play at a Rec level.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
not exactly what you are asking but may shed some light.
In our small town I have watched my daughter s teams 4th and 6 th grades this year play volleyball, basketball and softball with roughly the same group of girls. The same girls are good at throwing/pitching, shooting a basket, serving a volleyball. Good softball hitters are the ones that put in work. One thing I would take a close look at is seasonal and schedule conflicts and the team dynamics of the sport. One other aspect volleyball has in common with softball defence is getting a read and getting to the ball, so ifshe is a standout ss or catcher, she can probably contribute as a defender or setter in volleyball. Volleyball would be my vote if its a tossup between volleyball and basketball.

Jun 19, 2016
I was trying to be funny..it backfired. She ran hurdles..I would have killed myself if I tried to do that. In terms of what event, it sounds like your kid is a strong kid but maybe not so fast so maybe some throwing events (shot putt, etc) ?? Or you could have her run if you want to actually try and improve her speed.
That describes her. I honestly think she can play whatever she wants...at least if what she tells me is true. It isn't that she is that good but they have so many kids that have never played any sports. I know I was shocked when I heard that some of the girls on her softball team made the basketball team despite never playing it.

Shot put and discus is probably something she could be got at. I just need to get her some proper training. I can't tell you how many Facebook videos I have seen of softball girls throwing shot put like it was a softball. I guess they start out with a 6# shot put and many softball girls can throw that a long way, but they are likes to hurt themselves if they keep on doing it that way.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I would say any sport that is new to her is going to bring benefits. Adaptability, Coaching, timing, using different muscles, etc. My DD's played hoops and volleyball along with Softball since they were very young. I had always played lacrosse with them (well just the catching and throwing on the run part) but got them on an organized team in about 7th grade They both enjoyed it a lot and would have considered playing further but given that there's only so many hours in a day something eventually had to give. Lacrosse offers multiple benefits that can transfer to softball in my opinion. Track (shorter events especially) is an obvious benefit also.

Jun 8, 2016
Volleyball would be my vote if its a tossup between volleyball and basketball.
If you want to become a decent player, becoming decent at volleyball is probably going to easier than basketball..basketball and baseball/softball are the two sports which require the most skill development.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles